Can you use a much larger CCA battery than called for?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob no harm in my opinion but... make sure the charging system keeps that bigger battery fully charged as we aren’t using our daily vehicles enough during these different times and the newer technology batteries seem to not like being partially charged. I’ve had two new AGM Delco batteries fail recently in vehicles not driven enough to keep full charge. I am now using 25 watt Granite brand battery tenders on stuff except when been driven for awhile.
Robert

62BillT

Well Known Member
Don't ask me why, but I had a 1000 in my farm tractor which I only use once in a while. It can sit for as long as 6 months sometimes (if it doesn't snow during the winter time) and the 'ol thing lasted 11 1/2 years (documented). I replaced it with about an 850 (the parts store quit keeping 1000's) a few years ago and the same thing. Even at a 6 month stand, so far so good, it always starts like I just ran it the day before.

That's my farm tractor, now my truck, lol. I bought that battery new in February of '09 (also documented). It beat my tractor battery and is still going at 11 years and 9 months. Same thing, sometimes sits for as long as 3 months and starts just fine.

I believe with Batteries it is just good luck. Some are evidently made better and last longer, others don't. As much as I like Delco, I have been hearing some negative reports on them.

When buying one for my tractor or yard wrecker though, I always go with the highest CCA's and it seems to pay off.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
This still had the battery that was in when I bought the Jeep. The guy said it was new and it looked it back then. So it lasted about 6 years. (Napa brand)

Have you guys checked battery prices lately????????????????????????????????????

Advance and Autozone want around $149 -$165 on up with a core! The core is $22 at one place. Last time I bought a battery I got one from Autozone for about $100 a few years ago. Can't find anything that low unless you go to Walmart!

I'd say battery prices rose SHARPLY!!!!! (what hasn't in this screwed up world!) :furious

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been using the recon batteries from the interstate battery delivery guy for years and have had good luck with them myself. They cost $45 with a core they just went up a few months ago from $35. They only cost $10 more if you don’t have a core. The one in the 62 is about 6 years old and still works.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Your charging system is sized for the total electrical load of your specific vehicle, having a larger battery won't hurt at all as your charging system should be able to keep ahead of your vehicles demand on that battery. Generally a vehicle with a larger displacement engine especially diesels require a larger starter (amperage) to crank the engine as they use a more powerful starter motor. Its just like looking at the amperage of a grinder or some other electric tool, the more amps the motor pulls means the more load you can put on that tool without bogging it down.

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have always bought a battery by the CCA, a battery is a four year commodity if it last longer you got a bonus if it last less you got short sheeted. When you buy the more expensive battery you are pretty much paying for the better warranty, a battery is like a muscle if you don't use it you lose it. Batteries that sit without the proper maintenance (a battery tender) don't last very long, like motorcycles, garden tractors etc.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 2002 Kirkland in my 63, bought the biggest one that would fit in my 59 el Camino. Kept it ever since.