Canister Oil Filter

Junky

Well Known Member
My 327 now has a disposable oil filter adapter and filter on it, and I would like to convert it back to original. I have some canisters that measure 6 3/4" long, and the valve, etc. Is this the correct canister for a 1962 327 C.I. engine, and what is the correct oil filter number. I believe that it is the PF141 filters.

Junky

Well Known Member
Now that I know that I have a correct canister, what are the thoughts of having it powder coated, or should I just clean and paint? I do have one of the clear Mylar labels to put on it. Is there a paper gasket that goes between the engine block and the valve that is held on with the 2 bolts? I have seen one in pictures of the reproduction valve, but none listed in the parts books. thanks Junky

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Once you get the filter painted and decal on test fit as I have a car the exhaust system bends won’t allow the old original filter to be used and I have to use a short spin on filter. For now I am using a black Hastings filter and taking their decal off.
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
Now that I know that I have a correct canister, what are the thoughts of having it powder coated, or should I just clean and paint? I do have one of the clear Mylar labels to put on it. Is there a paper gasket that goes between the engine block and the valve that is held on with the 2 bolts? I have seen one in pictures of the reproduction valve, but none listed in the parts books. thanks Junky

The power coat might be a good idea. The problem with these is when you change the filter, there is NO way of keeping the canister from getting covered in oil. (this is the only thing I hate about these) So, you have to be careful when cleaning it as to not remove the paint but still get the oil off. Powder coat could withstand harsher cleaning methods.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If you have to restore an original, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one. Zip Corvette here in Richmond, Va sells the complete filter with the correct decal, filter and gasket for 100 bucks.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a cannister filter on my '63 409 engine and I love it. Restored it with a new decal. Bob is correct. It can get messy when changing out the filter itself. I drain the oil from the pan first then slowly remove the filter, trying to keep it level. I get a little oil down the side but not much, Carmine.

Junky

Well Known Member
I'm retired, my time is free. I have a lot of paint, a compressor and a sand blaster. 50 pounds of kiddy sand cost about $2.50, and I can do a lot of blasting for that $2.50.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I like the "old school" feel and look of the canister as well so it's still on Blanche. With regards to making a mess, I have a spring inside my canister. Once I get the unit just about unscrewed, I simply push the canister "up"and the oil in the canister drains out of the bottom into my pan. Very little oil goes down the side of the canister.

PS - make sure you get the old gasket off with the canister!! Sometime it stays up on the block and sometime it sticks to the canister upon removal. Either way, you want to account for that!!