Canning

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This would go under other interest. I love to can. Every fall we have an abundance of fruit and vegetables, which I can. I can tomatoes, peaches, 2 variety of pickles, beets, applesauce, spaghetti sauce and salsa. I probably do about 120 quarts collectively. Tomatoes are my favorite because I use them in cooking. My kids and grandbabies like the applesauce a lot. Seems I give away more then I ever use. I don't use a pressure cooker, so I blanche and freeze green beans, carrots and corn. For some reason, I really enjoy doing it. I think it's the feminine side of me :dunno:dunno, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Where were you in 2014 when I had 2 acres of Peaches and Cream sweet corn?????
Next door neighbor put up 100 quarts!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Actually I thought Carmine was a female way back when(others may have too) until he told us different. :D Was you a cook in your younger day's???

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd call it more the pioneer side Carmine.That's the way it was done back then.
Yes, that does sound better Don, doesn't it. I'll go with the pioneer from now on LOL.

I would have liked to be your neighbor Phil, especially with all those peaches and corn. I'd be busy for a while. Certainly would have shared some with you. Wouldn't mind checking out your cars and parts too.

Been in NY my whole life. Actually, the same county which is quite large. Population is about 330,000 but there is still a lot of room and open space left. Wish I had the courage to relocate to a better climate with lower taxes, but I never did. I'm envious of those that do. Now with all the grandbabies and more on the way, it will never happen. Best I can hope for is maybe a southern Winter hiatus. I choose to stay where I am so I can't whine too much about it.

No, never a cook per se. I think it's my love affair with food that drove me to learn more about it. I learned what I could from those around me and then wanted to expand in certain area's. That's why I took some courses at the CIA. I enjoy preparing, serving and eating quality dishes. The canning seemed to be a natural accent to everything, in addition to really enjoying doing it . Nothing like opening a jar of peaches or tomatoes over the Winter. The flavor is so much better. All natural ingredients. Unfortunately, the canning is seasonal. Most is done in August and then the applesauce in Oct. Then, I have to wait until the following year again, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Agreed Bryan. I have my second oldest daughter, who I taught to can, and I help her. We spend some quality time together. Can't beat that, Carmine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Could also, be Your Italian side, Carmine.:dunno:applAll my Aunt's and Uncle's, on my Dad's side, used to can. My Dad would have 30 or 40, Mason Jars, full of Tomatoe's, for the winter month's:clap M-m-m-m-m.:cloud

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Back when the kids were home we canned everything from vegetables to meat. Big a$$ed garden. Sold sweet corn to take the wife somewhere for a special weekend. Processed hogs and beef ourselves that we bought from farmers. A lot of work. Amazing what you do when you don't have any money. Oh ya, we ate a lot of venison too. Season opened when the freezer was about empty and it was cold enough outside. Nice fat does were tasty.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a large pressure cooker my grandmother used to use. It is at least 18 inches in diameter. We can't use it because the seal doesn't do it's job.
Does any know where I can get or how I can make a new seal?

Thanks!