Car Craft Summer Nationals....and the Biscayne gets noticed

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Car Craft Summer Nationals just wrapped up in Milwaukee and again it has proven to be one of the most fun shows I have ever been to. Tons of great cars, tons of people, lots of beer, bands and so on. We were there Friday and Saturday with the old Chevy. Not many w-powered cars in the mix but still a lot of cool x frame cars. Met a guy with a 1963 twin to my car as well. We attended the midnite drags at Great Lakes Dragaway last night too which was a great time with great friends.

Anyways, when we go to this show, we basically pull in and park, grab a beer and head out to see all the cool stuff. Well we were away from the car for a couple hours. Came back to pack up the car to head home and was talking to these really nice guys from south Chicago that are working together on a 61 vert project. While we were talking, I notice a business card out of the corner of my eye on the wiper. I grab it and put it in my pocket without even looking at it. Like most shows, we get a ton of car show flyers etc so I assumed it was something like that. I get home, unpack the cooler and go to grab my keys from my pocket. Out falls this business card. It's from the editorial director of The Enthusiast Network, aka the new Peterson Publications basically. Penciled above the guy's name says, "photoshoot? Call me please:" and his cell number is circled.

Hmm

I give him a call to see what this is all about. He answers, I tell him who I am and he immediately knows the car. He says an editor saw the car, sent an iPhone photo to a series of other editors. They all agree they love the car and ultimately forward it on to the director of editorial for his thoughts. He too agrees. So he checks it out at the show, leaves his card and away we go.

Fast forward to today. Between their conflicts, stormy weather and me being 50 min away from the event, we finally were able to coordinate time late this morning to get the car photographed. The shot below is of Wes Allison, Car Craft staff photographer, shooting the car today on location at a really cool old industrial park just west of downtown Milwaukee.

It's still surreal that my car was thought to be magazine worthy. That a bunch of editors and their boss thought it was worthy. That I stood there watching him shoot the car for better part of an hour. My car is nowhere near perfect. It's loud, has scrapes and dented trim. The engine bay is clean but not perfect. Same with the interior. It's a driver. But I am told that's why they loved the car. The radiator is filled with dead bugs from driving it, it doesn't have puny radials on it, it's got big ET Streets and bias front tires on body color steel wheels. It's tan....they love that it's tan.

Anyways, I'm beyond thrilled yet self conscious....the same way you feel walking into a Gold's Gym when you are a buck ninety five and haven't curled anything but a beer in 10 years.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the story and photos. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

d7c7r.jpg

34e2kc0.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Awesome Jason congratulations

The Car Craft Summer Nationals just wrapped up in Milwaukee and again it has proven to be one of the most fun shows I have ever been to. Tons of great cars, tons of people, lots of beer, bands and so on. We were there Friday and Saturday with the old Chevy. Not many w-powered cars in the mix but still a lot of cool x frame cars. Met a guy with a 1963 twin to my car as well. We attended the midnite drags at Great Lakes Dragaway last night too which was a great time with great friends.

Anyways, when we go to this show, we basically pull in and park, grab a beer and head out to see all the cool stuff. Well we were away from the car for a couple hours. Came back to pack up the car to head home and was talking to these really nice guys from south Chicago that are working together on a 61 vert project. While we were talking, I notice a business card out of the corner of my eye on the wiper. I grab it and put it in my pocket without even looking at it. Like most shows, we get a ton of car show flyers etc so I assumed it was something like that. I get home, unpack the cooler and go to grab my keys from my pocket. Out falls this business card. It's from the editorial director of The Enthusiast Network, aka the new Peterson Publications basically. Penciled above the guy's name says, "photoshoot? Call me please:" and his cell number is circled.

Hmm

I give him a call to see what this is all about. He answers, I tell him who I am and he immediately knows the car. He says an editor saw the car, sent an iPhone photo to a series of other editors. They all agree they love the car and ultimately forward it on to the director of editorial for his thoughts. He too agrees. So he checks it out at the show, leaves his card and away we go.

Fast forward to today. Between their conflicts, stormy weather and me being 50 min away from the event, we finally were able to coordinate time late this morning to get the car photographed. The shot below is of Wes Allison, Car Craft staff photographer, shooting the car today on location at a really cool old industrial park just west of downtown Milwaukee.

It's still surreal that my car was thought to be magazine worthy. That a bunch of editors and their boss thought it was worthy. That I stood there watching him shoot the car for better part of an hour. My car is nowhere near perfect. It's loud, has scrapes and dented trim. The engine bay is clean but not perfect. Same with the interior. It's a driver. But I am told that's why they loved the car. The radiator is filled with dead bugs from driving it, it doesn't have puny radials on it, it's got big ET Streets and bias front tires on body color steel wheels. It's tan....they love that it's tan.

Anyways, I'm beyond thrilled yet self conscious....the same way you feel walking into a Gold's Gym when you are a buck ninety five and haven't curled anything but a beer in 10 years.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the story and photos. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

d7c7r.jpg

34e2kc0.jpg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's awesome on the photo shoot. Me and a couple friends always went to the car craft summer nationals when it was in St. Paul Minnesota and always had a great time. Haven't made it to the event since they moved it to Milwaukee but hope to get there next year I have heard its even better since it moved to Milwaukee!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's awesome. It was completely packed yesterday. We just go for fun. The car hauls the cooler basically. Had such a great time talking cars with people from all over the place. We were parked next to the nicest couple from Iowa with a stunning 41 Ford pickup hot rod. Simply killer truck. Totally different league than what I'm driving that's for sure. Shared a couple beers and shot the shit with them all day Friday. Great time! if it does come back next year, I would suggest trying to make it. We have great food and bars in Milwaukee. And we share! I gave away more beer than I drank that's for sure!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jason that is great, and your car is definitely magazine material :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap 5 out of 5

Jason, it's great that others get to share your car. I've always liked it and considered it a "statement car", one that gets the point across even sitting still.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is great Jason, look forward to seeing the article and then I can say hey I know that guy...:winner:winner:winner

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys. Like I said, My car isn't a full on restored show car. It's got 30 year old paint and original chrome and trim on it so hopefully readers get it that it's just a fun old car...that runs hard!

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well done Jason,
I like you, drive my stuff a helluva lot, my cars have lots of blemishes and are not truly show worthy yet a few articles have been done on my stuff.
I don't go out of my way and really could'nt careless if ever my cars got in a mag, but when they do I feel quite proud, because it means some people take notice of real drivers.

You should be extremely proud, and make sure you get a copy of the mag. :appl:appl:appl:applyour kids can look back and see dad was famous.

Just as a point of interest, my 38 Ford first appeared in an Australia Street Rodder mag in 1978, again in Australian Rodder in 1990 (I had owned it 3 years then) and again in Cruisin' magazine in 2014.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Congrat's Jason,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't know why you call it yellow wagon when it's actually tan?????:scratch Maybe you are thinking going down a yellow brick road!!!!!!:D Noticed the rear body color wheel's instead of black , like it better that way!!!!:clap

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
That is cooler than hell! The right place, at the right time, with the right car! Congrats!!! :dj

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yellow Wagon is just a screen name I have had for years and years. Nothing to do with this car

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations Jason!!!! A lot of work but well worth it!!!!
Be sure to get a copy and autograph it and send it to Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will do that Phil!!! You too were a big part of this car. I appreciate everyone's assistance along the way thats for sure!