Car Hauler ???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay, so I never really wanted to haul the car anywhere, I like to drive her.... But reality has set in and if I want to attend the LGC final Convention I'll need to haul her there...:cuss :bang

So the question is how long of a trailer should I be looking for ??? What are some of you using to haul yours, if you do ?? I know that the car weighs about 3500 lbs and is somewhere around 18' long. I belive I can pull her with my 2005 Yokon XL 1/2 ton V8, according to the vehicle rating ???

I checked with U-Haul and they will rent me one for the two weeks for $800, but I can buy one for $1800. Seems like it's better to buy one and have it around or sell it later, than to give them almost half for the two weeks.... :dunno Looking for your valued advice...:bow

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I have a Carson 16' beavertail, 20' overall, weighs 1500 lbs empty, rated for 5000 lbs, GVW = 6500 lbs. I have hauled my Ranchwagon and a '70 Charger on it with no issues.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
We've pulled the '59 SDL behind my father's '99 Furd F150 (with the "there's no way in hell this 4.6L should be in a truck") on a 18' foot trailer without issue (other than the truck having no balls and taking for friggin ever to accelerate). I imagine you'd be fine pulling the '62 behind the Yukon. Just be sure to get a good brake controller and quality hitch.

Can you tell I don't like that Ford?!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like this is all covered and I also had no problems towing my 62 all the way to KC with a Blazer with a stock 350.

But as said,,, have a GOOD trailer brake setup !!

I still have a crease in my Astro Vans drivers seat trying to stop that trailer without a brake setup !!:eek: :roll

Don`t rent one ,,, buy one !!! You ALWAYS will find a use for it!!!,, dq

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Beaver Tail ???

Not sure what a beaver tail is or how it effects the towing ???? The trailer I was looking at was a 18', dual axle, flat bed, with wood deck. It is rated at 6500 as I recall but I didn't write that down. It has electric brakes on all four wheels and loading rams that pull out.

If I don't get a beaver tail is 18' going to be enough ??? Can I get by with 16' with no beaver tail. The 16' is cheaper. What is the overall length of the 62 BelAir ? :dunno

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nuts,
The 62 manual shows
Length of 209.6 inches (17.5 feet)
Wheekbase of 119.0 inches
Width of 79.0 inches
Heigth of 55.0 inches for Conv, Sedan & Coupe. Station Wagon is 56.0 inches

Dave

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Width counts, too

Nuts, also watch the width. The room between the wheel wells on the trailer has to be as wide as possible. The car will move around on the suspension when traveling. If it gets too close to the wheel well, you can get into the paint. Had this happen to my car several years ago. The trailer was long enough, but was not as wide as a lot of them. Didn't notice it till it was too late.
Just a word to the wise

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
An 18' should fit just about anything even a truck/Suburban on it if needed. A "dove tail" is a kick down at the rear making the ramp angle reduced, helpful for those lower cars, The chin spoiler on my 79 Camaro stil drags if I don't use some blocks under the ramps but its lowered. A 16' might be tough for a long car Like an Impala to not hang off the end.

A wider trailer also helps give a little more room. Be sure the fenders aren't so high you can-t open the doors once one. Most non car haulers are that way and it's pain crawling through the window.

Around $1800-2300 for a dedicated car trailer with brakes is about standard price If you get one made think of a spare tire well for that extra spare. I carry two for long trips.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I have an 18' beaver/dove tail trailer for my '62 and it fits perfect. I highly recommend a "beaver/dove tail" trailer because it does decrease ramp angle making loading and unloading on uneven ground easier and less stessful.

Everyone's right about pricing $1700 - $2200 is the going price. The best thing about buying a trailer is, you'll always find a use for it, you won't have to borrow or rent a piece of crap, and they never lose their value.

Paul

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Several years ago I bought an 18 ft trailer made by H&H Trailers out of Oklahoma, I believe. I looked at a lot of trailers before deciding on this one. They were the only ones I looked at that used pressure treated wood for the floor and it is extra wide so you can get on and off the trailer without scraping the paint. You can open the door enough to get in and out instead of crawling out the window if it doesn't sit too low. Instead of detachable ramps it has fold down mesh tailgate ramp but that can be a problem on a full size car since the ramp has to be verticle to lock. To get my 58 on the trailer and close the ramp, I had to jack up the front enough to get ramps under the front wheels so the bumper could override the front rails and then I could raise the ramp. A 20 footer probably would be better. It pulls really great and the fold up ramp eliminates the problem of the detachable ramps coming loose and flying off when your'e going down the road. It happened to me on my old trailer. Luckily no one was behind me. I think I paid about $1700 for it.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Featherlite trailers

Some trailers have removable fenders. This helps get out of the car once loaded. My Featherlite had them. Featherlite is a good trailer to look for. They are more expensive, but they hold their value. Mine was 17'6". The car did overhang a little, but not bad. The ramps stow in compartments, which have pins to keep them from opening when you are traveling. The floor is a non skid, also. Featherlite is the best trailer I have seen. All aluminum. Mine weighed 1400 pounds. You can also get a front air dam to keep bugs off the car, and is better for aero. They run around $4500.00, but if you plan on traveling much, will pay with reduced fuel burn due to the light weight. And, you can generally get your money back. I did.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks all for your thoughts and insight. :cheers A buddy is going to loan me one for this trip but if I ever need a trailer again, I'm just going to buy one. Really don't want to tow the car, I'd rather drive it !!!!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Sorry for the late comment but I do have a little advice 'cause I am towing my 61 convertible with a Yukon like yours. My trailer is a 16 footer and wide as legal with very low fenders made by DIVCO and Econotrailers in Pa. Is open center which makes it nice for cinching down. has 10' flat section with 6 foot beaver tail angle then pull out ramps. Radial trailer goodyear tires of course. Make sure you have the trailer ball height so the trailer is absoluty level w/o car. When I load mine I put a 2" deflection at the ball from level and I find the Yukon is happy I agree the brake controller is critical. I set my brakes on a gravel lane to ensure I don't over brake. Have towed the 4,120# 61 from Alabama to Pa. and tows great. The fenders are not ever near the car because they are lower and wide trailer. I have used a Alum Trailex and they are very good but like a Featherlite quite a bit more in upfront costs. Anyway buy a trailer because you won't like the rental ones plus all of your friends will want to use it or have you tow something of theirs;)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`ll add one more thought,,,,

A good set of helper air bag added to the rear of any tow vehicle is a good idea.

You pump them up a bit and you won`t believe the difference in the way the it tows.

I had lots of people say that my short Blazer would be all over the road towing that heavy car and trailer.
With the added air bags the Blazer would tow at 75 mph all day long straight and true without any swaying !!

I did this all the way to Kansas City and back. :brow dq

B

BADCAR

Nuts said:
Okay, so I never really wanted to haul the car anywhere, I like to drive her.... But reality has set in and if I want to attend the LGC final Convention I'll need to haul her there...:cuss :bang

So the question is how long of a trailer should I be looking for ??? What are some of you using to haul yours, if you do ?? I know that the car weighs about 3500 lbs and is somewhere around 18' long. I belive I can pull her with my 2005 Yokon XL 1/2 ton V8, according to the vehicle rating ???

I checked with U-Haul and they will rent me one for the two weeks for $800, but I can buy one for $1800. Seems like it's better to buy one and have it around or sell it later, than to give them almost half for the two weeks.... :dunno Looking for your valued advice...:bow
NUTS--Buy a long trailer--as lest a 20 footer--WHY? heres WHY!--Iused 16 footers for yrs--OH they did the JOB--but--& Got rear ended at a trafic light--& had a 60 Chevy On Board--which Damaged the Rear BAD!--So I was more than a Liitle Disturbed!!--& spent a few weeks fighting the Insurance Co!--never AGAIN!!--so I built my Own--3 inch channel Iron- rails--20ft long--same 3 inch channel for Cross Supports--mobil Home Tounge--& Twin Axles---Beaver tailed 2 ft on the rear!-4 inch Slant Downwards!--2 ft wide 1/4 inch Steel Diamond Plate runners on each Side--& ran a 3 inch Hd Pipe from front to Back--& Run all my Wiring throught the Pipe--I use Rough cut OAK plank 10 X 2 for ramps--W/ 3 inch Angle Iron on the Fronts-& Welded a 1/2 X 1/2 square Rod on the Bottom edges so My Planks wont slip Off!--& installed an Electrical 4000 lb Winch on Front--so Loading Dead Vehicles is NO! Problem!--Works Great--& I was Rear Ended again!--NO Damage to the vehicle I was Hauling!-but YOU should See the Car that Hit ME??--Did a Real number on its Front--END!--& it had to Be Towed away!--I guess? the Young Feller was loooking at the SAME three young Girls in Shorts I was looking At? when HE Ran out of Room! I DONO? how? He could Miss seeing my All John Deere YELLOW Trailer??--BANG! there goes His week End?--Ole JIM--

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Long trailer

You know, now my 20 footer is looking better. I thought my trailer was a little long, but after reading the previous post I'm kinda glad I got the extra 2 foot. I have a Rebellious Drag Trailer. The load area is 20 foot. It has a 4 foot beaver tail. It is as wide as is legally allowed. It has a 4 foot by 4 foot across the front box. Lots of storage. The trailer overall hitch to tail is 28 foot. Tows great too.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`ve seen some pretty cool trailers but one that stands out is a tilt bed like this Texas Roll Back bed. Pretty cool how they work. No ramps just lock the trailer wheels ,pull a few pins and the trailer bed slids back.
Check them out,,,http://www.texasrollback.net/

Or you can go upscale and get one of these baby`s !!!!:brow

Attachments

• ShowHauler609033.jpeg
    ShowHauler609033.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 25