Car haulers

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
We are moving back to Ohio, does anybody have a preferred car hauler that they have used, a broker, do you think $1450 from Jacksonville to near Cleveland is a fair price?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I believe I used Dependable Auto shippers years ago. Enclosed shipping from Vegas to Minnesota. I was happy with the service.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom before anyone else asks why the reverse move? I am getting ready to be south of you off I-95.
Robert

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Robert, Florida is very nice, but, it is also very hot, it's like you can't even go outside. It has been 30 days over 95° andHeat Indexes over 100° so far this year and August isn't even here yet. Yes, there's a/c and a pool, we have both. Don't even think about taking your Chevys out if they don't have a/c, the cars may not run hot but you will. We have no family down here, our kids are back North in Ohio, our Ohio house is about 20 from DW 42. Certainly not looking forward to the winters, everything in life is a tradeoff. The forecast for the next 10 days is 90+ everyday. Who knows, you make like it.

Junky

Well Known Member
When I was much younger, an old man once said to me that Florida is G-d's waiting room. Now that I am older, I am thinking of moving someplace warmer for the winter, but I am not ready to "hang it up", so I am thinking that Arizona might be a nice place to be a snow bird in.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I spent 2 years in northwest Fla. Went to Viet Nam from there. The weather was slightly nicer in Nam.

I'll add that was in the summer. Spring and Fall were very nice in Fla, winter was actually cold were I was at, occasional lows in the 20's for a few weeks

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We are moving back to Ohio, does anybody have a preferred car hauler that they have used, a broker, do you think $1450 from Jacksonville to near Cleveland is a fair price?
I used Intercity Lines twice. They have a website. Nice enclosed trailers. Shipping was on time. Not a broker to my knowledge. Definitely would use them again. Not the priciest, but not the cheapest either. You get what you pay for. I forget what I paid for shipping from Louisiana and Alabama, to NY. Your price doesn't sound too bad. Just make sure you get a time frame from when they will pick it up and deliver, Carmine.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
if you can keep both, leave your cell phone in the fla home. and claim it as your residence. then you pay no income
tax in ohio. just a thought. jim
you can rent out the fla home.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Sold the Florida house, bought an Ohio house all in less than one week, we still have to close on both. If we come South for any time in the winter we will rent. Renting eliminates the headache of owning 2 homes, we would only come South for a month maybe two.

Junky

Well Known Member
I also have used Intercity Lines to move cars around the country, and only once did they fail me. The driver refused to pick up a 1978 Cadillac ambulance because of the size. That is when I learned that the contracted amount was split between the company and the driver, and this driver didn't want to take it because he could make more money by taking 2 cars instead of just this one. I used them a few times after this first experience, and every time, I was very satisfied with the service.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sold the Florida house, bought an Ohio house all in less than one week, we still have to close on both. If we come South for any time in the winter we will rent. Renting eliminates the headache of owning 2 homes, we would only come South for a month maybe two.

Good idea. Been doing that also.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I was always told not to own a home outside your personal zipcode, especially if you rent it out :).

I have plans to move my Mom from the SW Cleveland suburbs to one of my homes in Columbia MO. Then there's the "what to do with Mom's house", the one I grew up in. First thoughts were nostalgic, to keep the house in Parma, Ohio and maybe rent it out. Then I realized I was violating my own credo (see above) :).

Where in the Cleveland area are you relocating to?

Best, TomK

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom, I was born and raised, made a living in Oberlin, we moved to Fla. after living in Oberlin for 65 years! Liberal sons of Bitches, Oberlin College got their ass handed to them after protesting against Gibsons Bakery, Google Gibsons Bakery. Gibsons won a lawsuit against the college for about 32 million dollars this past spring. College isn't paying and the court said they have to post a 36 million $ bond. Look it up, makes great reading.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I lived in Avon and worked in Cleveland for 3 years in the mid-90's. Summers were great, but winters were endless. I remember it snowed on Mothers Day one year. Put-in-bay was pretty cool.