Car prices

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I was watching the Mecum car auction last night coming from Kentucky. I saw what appeared to be some greats deals. A '67 SS Impala convertible, looking great, went for $17,000.00. A '63 Ford 500 convertible, also looking fine, went for $9,000.00. Are you kidding me?? A '62 plain jane Impala went for $24,500.00. A '55 Chevy went for half of what I thought it might be worth. Of course I didn't see any of these cars in person and there were no undercarriage shots, but I don't think you could buy and restore one of these for what it sold for. Does anyone think the prices of older cars might be coming down?? I know that great, outstanding cars will always bring good money, but what about the others??, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw the same thing. However I don't think it has any thing to do with prices in your area. There was a nice 1955 Ford that sold for $15000. That 55 Ford would be asking $28000 here in my area. I think old car pricing has gotten way out of control, at least where I'm at.

The 62 Impala in your example is over priced at $24500

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I was watching that also, I thought the pricing was more realistic and not inflated auction prices like most of the time.
However, I work on cars that some customers buy at these auctions and can tell you they didn't get their moneys worth.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was watching that also, I thought the pricing was more realistic and not inflated auction prices like most of the time.
However, I work on cars that some customers buy at these auctions and can tell you they didn't get their moneys worth.

A little off topic but.............The worst ones are those magazine build cars. They look good in the mag but are usually thrown together buckets that were only used to advertise the products that got installed.
Back when I was into Corvettes, I bought Cam Bentys 1966 Corvette StingRay, 427. Cam was the editor of Hot Rod or one of those rags.
All the "great stuff" that was installed for the article was mostly a POS. The biggest laugh was a holly carb that was highly modified with all those "trick" things by some big name carb shop, car ran like shit. Unbolted that carb and put on a new out of the box 3310 and it perked up beyond considerably, probably gained 50 horse without that trick carb. Also had a bunch of polyurethane suspension crap that squeaked like crazy and most were popping out, replaced all with OEM rubber. Got it back to a pretty nice car.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Buyer Beware. Yes I watched a little during the rain events here and Yes, some had downturn prices and I think I spotted some beware cars!
Robert

wristpin

Well Known Member
James is exactly right. A 4,000lb vehicle with brakes, steering and suspension that were pretty crappy off factory line. Now it has a big powerful engine and extra gearing but same brakes, steering and suspension.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd like to attend a Barret Jackson auction someday just to look at the cars. It's my opinion that they have a better quality car offered for auction then Mecum. But, they also cost more money. I wouldn't even consider registering to buy anything there. Now Mecum, a different story. I forget the exact area, but they come to PA to auction over the summer. I think it might be Harrisburg which is about 3-4 hours from me. Every year I say I want to go but haven't been there yet. I would follow their protocol and register as a buyer. I've seen some interesting cars past through their hands and you never know what might pique my interest that day, but I want to see and examine it in person. I did notice this time around, the reserve was taken off more quickly then I've seen before. I hate to mention it again and don't want Bob to ban me, but I still can't believe that '63 Ford convertible went for $9,000.00. It looked real good on my tv and I don't even like Fords. I don't have a clue as to why it went for what I thought was a low price. If it was even close as to what it appears, I could see me buying it, bringing it home and flipping it. I don't know how you could go wrong, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It's a Ford,Carmine,they're always wrong!!!!!!!!:gaah
I know what you are saying Don but...........at the Springfield, MO swap back in the late 80s, early 90s....there was an All original 62 Galaxie, 390 or 406 whatever was original, tripower, I believe 4- speed, red with black interior for $3500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't remember if it was my hatred for furd or I didn't have the money but....it would be a gold mine today!!@!!!! Russ might have known the car!!

RussC

Well Known Member
I know what you are saying Don but...........at the Springfield, MO swap back in the late 80s, early 90s....there was an All original 62 Galaxie, 390 or 406 whatever was original, tripower, I believe 4- speed, red with black interior for $3500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't remember if it was my hatred for furd or I didn't have the money but....it would be a gold mine today!!@!!!! Russ might have known the car!!

I don't know the red car...but I do remember the burgundy 62 XL...406...4spd our buddy Tom Jones had. Low mileage original paint. He had a hard time selling it. Finally sent it to Texas for $8500. I really liked the car...guess I didn't have the money

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Watched more of Mecum last night. Quite a cross section of cars. Out of the 8-10 first cars offered, only 2 sold. The others went to "bidding continued". Anyone know how that works?? Say you were a little bit late and didn't even know a car exist, how would you bid on it?? I think he is going to have a low sale through at this auction. Not a lot of movement from my 1.5 hour of watching. Seems a better chance for sale, when the reserve was removed. But even then, the price didn't go up that much more. Saw something else I never saw before. They had a Barracuda and '67 GTO in original state. "Barn finds". Both with "patina" and needed at least a paint job. The Barracuda sold I think for $4,000.00. The GTO went to $20,000.00 and "bidding continued". Hmm...…………………..I see once you place a bid, one of the employees is right there in your face. Deep in your social space. I know it's their job, but I would hate that. They constantly try and have you increase your bid after you repeatedly told them no. Oh well. Don't have to worry about it this year, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd like to attend a Barret Jackson auction someday just to look at the cars. It's my opinion that they have a better quality car offered for auction then Mecum. But, they also cost more money. I wouldn't even consider registering to buy anything there. Now Mecum, a different story. I forget the exact area, but they come to PA to auction over the summer. I think it might be Harrisburg which is about 3-4 hours from me. Every year I say I want to go but haven't been there yet. I would follow their protocol and register as a buyer. I've seen some interesting cars past through their hands and you never know what might pique my interest that day, but I want to see and examine it in person. I did notice this time around, the reserve was taken off more quickly then I've seen before. I hate to mention it again and don't want Bob to ban me, but I still can't believe that '63 Ford convertible went for $9,000.00. It looked real good on my tv and I don't even like Fords. I don't have a clue as to why it went for what I thought was a low price. If it was even close as to what it appears, I could see me buying it, bringing it home and flipping it. I don't know how you could go wrong, Carmine.

How far is the Mohegan Sun Barrett Jackson auction from you June 20 - 23, 2018. Barrett Jackson is there annually in June.