Car radio search for a 1958 Impala

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new car stereo for my 58 Impala, so far I've found two vendors, they're Custom Autosound and Retro Sound. Anyone have any experience with these stereos? What their quality? Easy to install? Please let me know, I plan on ordering soon.

Thanks,

Steve

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Custom Auto Sound.:doh:thumbdown

Agreed. The worse junk I ever owned. Just plain cheesy. So, at one time, it was them or nothing. Bought my first one several years ago and didn't like it. The quality just wasn't there. A few years later, bought another one. Nothing changed. Just plain dumb on my part. Have you ever thought about having your original radio converted to your present day needs?? I did just that with the factory radio's in my '62 and '64 Impalas. Sent them both to a place called "Turnswitch". They have a website and I'm sure others do the same thing. They remove the old internals and install updated electronics. You can have them do whatever you want. Me, I had them make mine am/fm capable and also have a jack for my ipod. They return your original radio with the updates and no one would ever know what they did. I am very pleased with their work. Going to send them my '71 GTO radio soon for the upgrades. They aren't cheap. The more you want done, the more expensive it can be. They also have great tech service. I had them on the phone once for about 1/2 hour trying to explain something to me that I couldn't figure out. For me, it's the only way to go. Take a look at their website and see what their actual offerings and prices are, Carmine.

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I'd spring the money and go with one of those radios that looks almost identical to the original WonderBar. They cost about $600, but I think it's worth it. I put one in my '58 Impala and it works great. 1) looks original 2) has input for devices such as iPod 3) I think they now Bluetooth capable.