Car show prices

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
Was wondering what other parts of the country paid to enter their car in a car show. We just entered our car in a st. Jude sponsored car-show and paid 25.00. Very nice show with laser cut trophies. I would hav paid double since the profits went 100% to st. Jude. There is another show in 2 weeks that profits a Chevy dealer and (in small print) Texas eqisearch. Now 40.00 that benefits a local Chevy dealership is a crock but money that goes to equisearch is a good thing. We haven’t decided whether we go or not. What say you?

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I went to a local show/swap meet on sept 15th and it was 15.00 to get in. I think it’s the larger one in my area and had 360 cars this year.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In my area, it can be any wheres between $12.00 and $20.00. I guess it depends on who is sponsoring it. I don't mind paying the $20.00 or even more if it's for a charity or service organization. I don't care much for these private little enterprises, such as dealerships, sponsoring a show. Never know where the money is going.
Since the Goodguys was brought up, I wouldn't attend one of their gatherings if their limo picked me, loaded with booze and women inside, drove me to the show, free admission and food. About 7-8 years ago, they had a show near me. Went there in search of parts. Couldn't believe they charged $22.00 to get in. WTF. If I hadn't traveled 1.5 hours, I would have turned around and went home. Never again. They can kiss my derriere. Rip off artist. I wouldn't patronize these a-holes if they were the only ones left. And that is my most humble opinion, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just my opinion, Boxerdog may have a different one and maybe even more insight, however money, both what it was costing the city, and then charging the people to cruise and attend Graffiti Night in Modesto CA was the ruin of that event. Not to mention the scum gang bangers etc. Back in the 70's and even early 80's it was a family event.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I go to a car show, I want to see cars only. No motorcycles. Nothing personal against them. I owned 6 of them; last 2 were Harley's. Never been a problem or issue. I just get an uneasy feeling. Some wear their "colors". Don't know anything about their club? Good thing or a bad thing? If I want to see motorcycles, I'll go to one of their shows. They also have them separate in my area, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yeah, I feel the same way about Mustangs and Camaros......
I went to a show this past weekend. About 300 plus cars. Had to turn some away. No parking left on the show field. I've never seen so many Mustangs at one gathering. How many of those things did they make anyway, 40 million?? To each their own I guess. Show was sponsored by a service organization. Had a fair amount of newer motorcycles. A few choppers. They were staged by themselves. Not one 409 car and maybe 8 trifives, which is unusual. I didn't bring any car because this was the first time I went to it. Wanted to see what it was all about. Next year, I will bring something if I go. Was held at a privately owned airport open to the public. Kind of neat to watch the planes take off and land, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shows here use to limit registration to American cars only and pre 1972 or so. Now most have increased the age limit upwards of 1980 and no country of manufactuer restrictions. I seriously think that attendance has been dropping for the last 10 years or so due to less and less interest and affordability of old cars. The shows are having to loosen their restrictions to try and keep attendance ($$) up. However the few large shows I do attend still have mostly good cars even though I usually don't bother to go look much as I've been looking at cars for most of my life and I'm not as impressed as I once was.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just my opinion, Boxerdog may have a different one and maybe even more insight, however money, both what it was costing the city, and then charging the people to cruise and attend Graffiti Night in Modesto CA was the ruin of that event. Not to mention the scum gang bangers etc. Back in the 70's and even early 80's it was a family event.
LOL I don't have a different opinion and I certainly don't have more insight. It's a great tradition, but the cruise is bloated, and often turns into a parking lot. I make an evening out of it and go watch, hoping to see a few new cars and catch up with friends. I haven't gone to the show since they moved it out to the ball park. I think Mike hit it on the head, too. Sometimes seems like who can write the biggest check this year, if you know what I mean.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just miss the old days, about pre 84 ish and especially earlier when you could cruise McHenry, or sit on the sidewalk with a cooler and have a good time without any issues with people and police. Back then it seemed more like a family event and more home grown.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Everyone misses how it used to be. We never paid for a show back in the day but I also remember we never had air conditioning when I was growing up and I tend to like how things are now days and paying a few bucks for good organization and clean bathrooms is worth it. So you pay a few bucks for a show. Whether or not the money goes to charity/good cause is irrelevant. If you need a reason to give to a charity and you are using a car show as a crutch to give then you aren't even going or giving for the right reasons. I give hundreds of hours each year to several charities because I believe in their cause and only one has a car show envolved. Yet I go to nearly 100 car shows each year to keep my automotive high going. The vast majority of the shows I go to I do not "show a car" but that wouldn't stop me from giving to the a charity that might benefit from that show. Guys, times a change'n and with that comes generations behind us that don't know what a sock hop is. I'm 42 but just barely remember going to free fun shows because my parents took my sister and I. I always tell people that write my motor sports event guide that should they want a different car show experience then start one of your own. Most fail and I Know of dozens over the last 10 years that went for 10-15 years and folded. New shows jump up all of the time and some make it and some don't but it normally comes down to money to keep them going and allowing more generations in to keep them going and finding locations for them to be held is getting harder and harder.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am not complaining about paying to go to a show. Graffiti Night Cruise was originally just people cruising. There was no "event" or charity run functions. It was by the people, for the people. Newborns to the elderly would come out. It was a huge event. Then the city of Modesto decided it was their event. So they took it, started charging for cruising, assigned an area ( the local college for a car show and fenced and charged ) then they cancelled it all together. So decades and decades of tradition is now gone. I haven't been there in about 20 years because of the change so I don't know what they do now a days.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The Detroit area has so many car shows, that you can subscribe to a monthly magazine called the “Cruis’News” that shows the up and coming car shows and articles written by local writers about the car hobby. The only reason I purchase it is the show schedules, daily or weekends. We have so many city run shows for no cost that I only go & show at 1 or 2 paid shows for the year and they are said to be for a charity like “The Leader Dog for the Blind” that show cost $20, like I said the city run shows like the “Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise” are cost free to draw folks into the city.
Dave

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I am not complaining about paying to go to a show. Graffiti Night Cruise was originally just people cruising. There was no "event" or charity run functions. It was by the people, for the people. Newborns to the elderly would come out. It was a huge event. Then the city of Modesto decided it was their event. So they took it, started charging for cruising, assigned an area ( the local college for a car show and fenced and charged ) then they cancelled it all together. So decades and decades of tradition is now gone. I haven't been there in about 20 years because of the change so I don't know what they do now a days.
I think the Kiwanis runs it?? With help from the Chevy club?? They overbook and charge for the cruise, and the following weekend the show is at the baseball park. I would just walk over when it was at the college, now I check out my friends at the parking lot/cruise on Friday and don't bother with the show. The spontaneous event was a lot more fun, but it was eventually ruined by gangs and Toyotas, so the adult supervision era began.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don Jacks,
I’m trailering my 62 down to Fort Benning, GA for a Army reunion this weekend, then going to my brothers in Charleston, SC then on to my sons in Greensboro, NC.
anyway
I just heard about “Cruise the Gulf” car shows. Is that a big time show or shows. I may go 2 years from now if it coincide with the next Army reunion . To bad it’s in the other Direction then my planned travels this year.
Dave

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hate to see at a carshow!
Brand new corvettes. I like vettes but not entered in local carshows. Car shows are for old cars that have been rejuvenated not showroom clean vettes.
Makes me mad every time I see a new car of any kind (Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, SRT8 anything...) at a car show going against people who have an older model with 100,000 more miles on Iowa's salty roads for a trophy. My car show would ban all new cars and make it understood that buying a new car for a trophy isn't the way it works.