Car Trailer Help

Richard Fox

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Once my 65 Nova 409 is finished (see Bookends Projects in Builds section of forum) I'm going to be looking for a trailer and I'm reaching out to everyone for input. Driving a 16 Silverado with towing package so that should make it easier. I've seen some trailers with the winch mounted in container box. Any hard lessons learned, suggestion on manufacturer, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Mine is 8.5X24...need longer if hauling a golf car. 12V and 110V lights. Went with heavier winch, axles and tires. Cabinets in front. Make sure to get your tie down d-rings in the right place. Just to the left of the cable guide in pic below is the d-ring to lift the basement lid where my spare tire lives. I didn't go with escape door, works for me. A vent in the top is worthless IMO and a place for a leak. Look over the list I sent you and if you have questions either post here or my email.

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_101932508.jpg
    IMG_20180609_101932508.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
On my 8 1/2 x 24 open with a air dam.
I have the battery & battery box in front of a air dam. The 9000# winch is in another box on the other side of the air dam. That box with winch holds all my straps & other items. As Dave (Iowa 409 Guy) noted extra D-Rings is a plus. I have 4 per side on my trailer. As for towing I also use a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 crew cab, 5.3 gas engine (rated for 9500#) with all the factory’s towing items). Very seldom do I climb big hills with my open and the 62 on the trailer, a trailer brake switch is a must and a Hill dissent switch is helpful that uses the engine to slow you down hill.

Dave

Last edited:

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have 24' x 102" box trailer with 9,000# winch & battery box located in very front and mounted on floor.

Remember, trailering is all about safety. The more you put inside the more weight you have to pull and stop.

Invest in a good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar and good door mirrors.