carb adapter question

rcurrier44

Hi got a quick question. I am looking for an adapter to use a holley carb on this 1958 348 I just got. It has a High choke carb on it right now that has frozen secondary butterflies. I have been soaking then all weekend and they wont budge. I have a holley carb that is good and ready to bolt on. I need to get this motor going asap.

I think this is the one I need....what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=7958104179&rd=1

This is what they say about it.

Here for the large and medium base 1 11/16 port Holley or AFB (Edelbrock) carburetor to smaller base, 1 7/16 port 4 bbl manifold - tapered ports and it's even reversible! Often when you remove a quadrajet to put on an edelbrock the secondaries won't open due to the intake design. This adapter solves not only that problem but many others when used.

Here is a pic

6e_1_b.JPG

I am also going to contact that showcars place because I hear they have adapters... can't find carb/intake stuff on their website.

Here is a pic of the engine I have

DCP00629.sized.jpg

Thanks for the help.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's what Show Cars offers.

6169 58-65 348/409 1x4 adapter for aftermarket AFB or Holley to cast iron car or truck intake. Ea $30.00

rcurrier44

Hey thanks. Thats not a bad price. Any idea if it comes with the hardware? I tried calling them but I think they are at lunch. The e-bay one is about half the price so I think I will look around quick to see if the bore sizes match on the e-bay one. But If I can't get confermation on the size than I think I will just order the one from show cars to be safe.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi ,,,,mr. 44 i to was looking for the same part. i called showcars and they are on back order so i have my name on a list and he said he would call when they come in which should be in about 2 weeks. very nice man but are a little hard to get a hold of,
i tryed 6 times. but i'm glad i will get what i need. mr 348 nut sent me to him and he is useing the same one and said it works great. you will find it in group 1 (fuel)
sec. 1.500 i think the third page. i hope this helps

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That adapter on Ebay sure looks like it will work. It tapers to the center, that's the key! I don't think Show Cars sent any bolts with thiers. I know there wasn't any gaskets. I used the stock gasket on the manifold and an insulated one on top of the adapter. It does work good. Good Luck, NUT

rcurrier44

It does but I can't find what the correct size for the holes is susposto be. I haven't remembered to measure mine when I was at the shop. Its awfully tempting to get one just to try since they are so cheep. I will probubly get mine from show cars however to be on the safe side. As of now I simply made my own adapter to get the engine up and running.

rcurrier44

I did some measuring last night...it sure looks like it will work. I think if I can get one of those e-bay ones for around 15$ total I am going to go ahead and get it...won't be out much if it doesn't work.