carb preference

stan b

What Edelbrock carb do I want for my newly rebuilt 1958 348? Its stock 9.5 compression with a 340 horse 409 cam and stock heads and intake. I'm thinking a 500 cfm but have read bad reviews on the avs2. Any suggestions?

Stan

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Our 409 runs the best with the Holley 570 Street Avenger, I was a little surprised how well it runs vs the 670 and larger Holley's I have tried.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think the 500 cfm range will be a good fit, the advantage of the AVS is you can adjust the secondary air flap where the AFB is factory set.
The Holley carburetor will need an adapter to fit the factory intake, I think.

348goob

From what I understand, the newer hollys are pretty good, they say they have fixed all the leaking problems they used to have. that said, I am inclined to use the type / kind of carb that the engines came with. I have a 59 348 with a 2816S Carter WCFB, and it was clocked by the highway patrol at approximately 150 mph+ once upon a time.......... and I have had several vehicles with genuine AFB's and AVS's, all of which are very tuneable. Edelbrock makes them, but they are not the same as the old carbs for some reason.