Carb size, does it matter?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Truth. They aren’t the same.
I bought (2) Floats, from Summit, years ago. They were for, Edelbrock carbs.They were smaller, than original AFB floats.:doh I worried, about the float level and drop.:dunno I ended up, sending them back.

427John

Well Known Member
With the completely stock hydraulic lifter engine a Q-jet with the usual problem areas addressed and tuned for the engine will be extremely hard to beat for the combination of performance and fuel mileage.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok guys, thanks for all your responses. Seems like some guys are concerned with gas mileage, me too, on my everyday driver, but my 09 is except from that. LOL
This gives me something to think about going smaller.
So, with a smaller carb, how will that effect the vacuum for my power disc brakes. More the vacuum would be better I think, would it?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The short answer is yes,Randy,,,,,,,,,,,,but there are other designs,that all have close to the same cfm ratings.One of the design features that I like about the Street Demon is the small primary,large secondary set up.This gives you the benefits of a very small carb at a cruise,then when you ocassionly do get on it,the large secondarys make the power that you want.None of the carbs that have been discussed in this thread will have a negative effect on your engine vacuum.