Carb Throttle Return Spring on Oil Tube?

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am building a 283 as stock appearing as possible (with modern manifold and carb). I bought a Edelbrock EPS manifold, but the fill tube Edelbrock provided does not have a throttle return spring.

Question. Does the original early/mid 60's oil fill tube have a tab that you would attach the carb throttle return spring to? I will be running an Edelbrock AVS2 500cfm carb.

Thanks

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Part # 1047B from Show cars is a spring pull back bracket that bolts to the intake manifold.
I have never seen one for a oil fill tube unless you switch the oil fill tube with a original small block with the bracket.
I can post a picture of extra one that I have.
Paul

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul & Phil, you are correct as I do have a 2nd spring bracket that’s attached to the 2nd front valve cover screw.
May not be the correct position, but it works. Just don’t trust a double spring (spring inside another spring) by itself.
Dave

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I just noticed that my 63 340 horse intake has a filler tube with that bracket on it.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Was this return spring bracket only on w engine fill tubes? I’ve looked at pics online and can’t find a sbc with the bracket on the tube setup. I’m thinking the tab that PVS409 eluded to may work better. Guess I just need to the carb bought and mounted to decide on which way to go.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I believe all 4 bbl sbc's were fitted with the tab on the tube. The return spring was more outboard as opposed to 2 bbl sbc's, from the pictures I've seen at least.

Guess my search for a fill tube with the tab is on! Thanks guys, the wealth of info I get from this webpage is appreciated!!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So why aren’t my extra ones ( that are for sale) in my pictures above correct. They are for all 283 and 327’s
Paul

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul, I didn’t know you were selling! Send me a message on the bare one with what you’d like for it!

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
My 63 with original 283, 2 barrel, and a powerglide has it attached to a tab on the thermostat housing. No bracket on the oil filler tube. Pretty sure this is the original configuration as I helped my Grandfather overhaul this engine about 25 years ago. Pulled it out as I'm building a 438 W motor to put in its place.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 23