Carburetor Fitting

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, I was a little concerned about the solder melting on the brass fitting. I looked at all the options noted and just didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I decided to make a fitting using ideas from other fitting designs. I would have liked to find a one piece fitting similar to the one I soldered up. This ia as close I could make. Machined a piece of steel and brazed a flared tube into a countersunk hole. Now to pressure test it.View attachment 79555View attachment 79556View attachment 79557View attachment 79558[/QUOTE
Jim I know its a little late but could you have cut a shallow pocket in the ring with an end mill the diameter of the tubbing, it would help to strengthen the joint against vibration

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did use an end mill to machine a pocket for the tubing to fit into. then tig brazed the tubing into the ring.

Could I have brazed the brass fittings? I'm not sure, never tried it.:dunno2

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Brazing reminds me of the first dealership I worked at. They sold a lot of factory rebuilt engines. They had a round rod ring with different size crankshaft bolts that were brazed to the ring that could be lifted with a cherry picker. The brazing looked like gold and actually got polished from use through the years.

bobs409

Administrator
I tried tig brazing a brass fitting and it went horrible! First off, don't breathe the smoke! (very bad for you) I tried using silicone bronze filler and I got a lot of smoke and spitting back. I hope to never try that again. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I tried tig brazing a brass fitting and it went horrible! First off, don't breathe the smoke! (very bad for you) I tried using silicone bronze filler and I got a lot of smoke and spitting back. I hope to never try that again. :D
Geez Bob, I did grazed this little piece no problem with any smoke, just had the same problem you had with my mask not darkening. Had to use my tinted safety glasses.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brazing reminds me of the first dealership I worked at. They sold a lot of factory rebuilt engines. They had a round rod ring with different size crankshaft bolts that were brazed to the ring that could be lifted with a cherry picker. The brazing looked like gold and actually got polished from use through the years.
I'll have to polish the fitting up before installing it this spring or summer or next winter.