Carburetor??

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Fellas I have a 1960 Impala convertible with a Carter WCFB 4BBL carburetor on my 348. I have about had it with this thing! I rebuilt it but it still runs bad. Almost like the motor isn’t getting enough fuel unless I step on it. I would like to just replace it with a bolt on replacement.
Anyone know what carb brand and model number is a direct replacement for my stock carb? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 055356A7-EF94-4046-87A7-DA0637DD129A.jpeg
    055356A7-EF94-4046-87A7-DA0637DD129A.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 48

Moparboss

Well Known Member
There is no modern carb that's a direct bolt on but there are adapter plates that allow you to bolt one on .A 500,600 or 650 Edelbrock or AVS2 would be a good choice.If the engine's basicly stock then the AVS2 500 would be best.
Wow. Thanks. Does an adapter plate provide enough clearance for the stock air cleaner to still be used? Also has anyone done any any of these conversations and what are you using?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It won 't work with the stock air filter housing without an adapter to fit between the carb and the filter housing.I've got one but I haven't seen another lately.Show Cars has the carb to manifold adapter..I haven't asked about the carb to filter one,maybe?I just noticed that Holley is selling their Street Demon 625 for 304.00 new.This would also make an excellent choice as well and it's about 60.00 cheaper than the AVS2.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe them to be size because they're used on the same intake manifold. I'm not aware of a WCFB specific manifold.The larger 4GC that came on the 340 horse 409 shares the same bolt pattern as the AFB.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Fellas I have a 1960 Impala convertible with a Carter WCFB 4BBL carburetor on my 348. I have about had it with this thing! I rebuilt it but it still runs bad. Almost like the motor isn’t getting enough fuel unless I step on it. I would like to just replace it with a bolt on replacement.
Anyone know what carb brand and model number is a direct replacement for my stock carb? Thanks in advance.

The WCFB's are fussy and needlessly complex.

If you're looking for a simple carb as a bolt on replacement while retaining the stock look...get a 4GC. They are simple, readily available, work well, your air cleaner and linkage will all fit, choke tube, no adapter plates, etc. The most you'll have to do is extend the fuel line for the 4GC's center front inlet.

This was a commonly done replacement for troublesome WCFB's back-in-the-day.

A 4GC from a 283 or 327 would be perfect for your needs. The 'big' 409-340 4GC's should be saved for the restoration stuff and wouldn't offer any real performance improvement on a stock 348, anyway.

Toooooo simple not to do........;)

Last edited:

Moparboss

Well Known Member

If you're looking for a simple carb as a bolt on replacement while sill retaining the stock look...get a 4GC. They are simple, readily available, work well, your air cleaner and linkage will all fit, choke tube, no adapter plates, etc. The most you'll have to do is extend the fuel line for the 4GC's center front inlet.

A 4GC from a 283 or 327 would be perfect for your needs. The 'big' 409-340 4GC's should be saved for the restoration stuff and wouldn't offer any real performance improvement on a stock 348, anyway.

One of my buddies turned me on to a 4GC off of his 60 impala 283. Said works great. However the fuel inlet threads are stripped.
Any ideas on a fix for that? Maybe I go get a used 4GC carb and take the top off of it? I really would like to keep the carb he gave me in tact. Thanks for the info and help guys.

Moparboss

Well Known Member

If you're looking for a simple carb as a bolt on replacement while sill retaining the stock look...get a 4GC. They are simple, readily available, work well, your air cleaner and linkage will all fit, choke tube, no adapter plates, etc. The most you'll have to do is extend the fuel line for the 4GC's center front inlet.

I ended up getting a 4GC and rebuilt it. I put it on the car and it purred like a kitten. Didn’t even have to adjust the idle air screws LOL.
runs perfect!

Just for the record: It sounds like your accelerator /Vacuum Pump isn't working. Probably the leather piston seal has gone bad, or else the check ball at the bottom of the accelerator/vacuum pump bore is stuck.

Google: Mikes Carburetors - they have tons of parts, and great instructional videos. Once you get to know the WCFB, it's not complicated at all. FWIW, Mikes Carburetors is a GREAT company. Everything always seems to be in stock, very competitive prices, very fast delivery, AND follow up to see if you enjoyed the exchange!

On the other hand: Chicago Corvette/Chicago Carburetor - worst in the world. Extremely bad everything. I wish I would have searched for some reviews beforehand - they were rated at less than 1 star ! Trust me, they are bad. Check out Mike's for info and parts.

At any rate, the WCFB's were around for many years on many cars because they were basically good carbs. Not to be considered "High Performance" (400 CFM) but decent enough for a street runner. Don't count them out until you know they are well maintained, and adjusted properly.... IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I would be interested in that carb if you want to part with it.