Carrier Bearing

Junky

Well Known Member
I need to replace the carrier bearing on the driveshaft on my '62 wagon. Any recommendations as to brand and what to stay away from? Should have done it when the engine and transmission were out of the car, but didn't think of it until everything was being put together. At that point, the car had already worn out its welcome at the shop, and they just wanted it gone.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't forget that such a carrier doesn't allow for any axle movement so you will need to buy a rear drive shaft slip yoke style (can be bought for $250 online) to relieve any preasure your suspension moving will have on that "solid" carrier. Would hate to see the center pull out on such a great piece. The lowrider guys have actual solid steel center carriers they use to ensure they can drive their cars in 3 wheel motion for more than a block. I just put one of the Poly carriers in my wagon this summer for some drag racing fun up at Tri-State raceway and I'm using a 6' long ladder bar to keep the axle in place. No issues yet. This is just a reminder to anyone that doesn't already know about such issues with stepping away from a factory set up.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Over the years that I've been on this site there have been numerous posts on this very subject and it's always been the same conclusion.These "Poly' center support bearings are a great thing,but will ONLY hold up when used in conjunction with the slip yoke rear section.They will fail otherwise.

Junky

Well Known Member
considering that my car isn't raced, I will be sticking with the original type of bearing. thanks junk

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Never heard such a thing. We sell hundreds with great success. Shaft slides in/out just exactly as orignalDS-6035__ra_p.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Never had a problem with one in the Shaker. Didn't drive it on the street but beat the crap out of it on the track with stock driveshaft. :dunno2
You have a solid poly and run a stock rear drive shaft? Just wondering because you aren't exactly nice to that old girl on the line. Pistol whipped her all the way down the track if I remember last time I saw it at the Meltdown drags.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You have a solid poly and run a stock rear drive shaft? Just wondering because you aren't exactly nice to that old girl on the line. Pistol whipped her all the way down the track if I remember last time I saw it at the Meltdown drags.

Yes stock driveshaft for three seasons. But as of the 2018 season it has a one piece with the Pontiac rear.