Cars You Wished Dad Would have Bought but Mom Hated

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have always wondered how different thing might have been had my Dad either bought or kept a few cars when I was growing up. 1st. My Dad had the chance to get a super nice 62 Impala SS 327 Convert. Black with the salt and pepper interior, reason he did not buy it? my Mom did not like the car :scratch 2nd. car was a super clean '61 Parkwood Wagon with a 283 and P/G, Yellowish and was a neat car for us kids. Reason Dad didn't get it? Mom said it swayed in the back and she didn't like it, so Dad settled on a '60 Belair 4dr with a 348 and it was super cool but when it needed work Dad dumped it, I loved the 348. The last nice car that I thought he should have bought was a 1969 2DR Caprice, dark blue, every option know to man with a 385hp 427. Reason we did not get it? you guessed it, Mom said it would get bad gas mileage. Over the years I learned that Mom hated nice things my dad wanted so she always made him drive junk, until I grew up and stated picking out his cars after that. Sometimes I think my Mom was a Ford lover, no wonder we never got along as I grew up. :D

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
At work we hear a million stories every day about what dad had and mom didn't like. The one thing they never mention is she liked your dad enough to have you. She liked him enough to know you or one of your siblings would be like your dad and less like her. She also like your dad enough to accept that he might be a worthless car guy and raise a couple of worthless car kids. Again, I am lucky because my wife knew what she was getting into when she married me. Long before kids I was taking her to every car related event there was for years on end while spending countless hours in the shop working on my cars. My family growing up bought and sold so many cars I can say we owned just about anything you can think of. Turns out drag racing is really the only thing we never got into until my fascination with Nostalgia Drag racing for the last 7 years. Only one I wish my dad would have kept was the 1957 Nomad. Not because its iconic but because I played in the back of that thing more than in my own back yard. My kids will get that same experience in my wagon and mom knows she only has so much say in that. ;)

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You know, I would say none.
My dad liked Fords and Plymouths so nothing he ever had or thought about buying did much for me. I guess if he would have looked at a Cuda or something........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It didn't really mater what the old man drove,it was his car and as such I couldn't drive it.My mom's youngest brother on the other hand was a different story as he[a young GM engineer]who taught me how to think and build engines.He's the one who started me racing,not that I needed much encouragement.:crazy

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
No, check the license plate: Cusso is Australian for Customline. Thay did get the Canadian grille. I would guess this is a model year '57 or '58.
Wow I would have thought 55 judging by the parking lights and the grill threw me :appl:appl:appl

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
58' Customline basically a 55 Canadian Meteor
Ford Australia manufactured 2 cars for 55 to 58, a 4 door sedan and a utility.
the 55 was basically a 55 Ford Customline (probably 1/2 way between a Mainline and Customline) 272 Y block only
the 56 as above, no 292 or 312's
57 was a slightly better trim package than 56, more like a customline
58 was really an updated 55 with the 55 Canadian Meteor grille and side trim, interiors were subdued compared to the US and Canadian options.

I have seen a May 59 build date Customline and an April 60 build date Mainline ute, clearly using all the parts up.
By 59 the new Fairlane was introduced, basically a 59 US Ford with the Canadian Mercury dash, again a 4 door sedan, these ran through to 61 then the Falcon sedan was manufactured, all the bigger cars were imported as a CKD from Canada.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Summer of 55 Dad brought home a brand new 55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop demonstrator v8 car in red and white with factory air. We took a long drive in it and it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Mom decided for whatever reason it wasn't for us so the chevy went back to the dealer and we ended up with a 56 Plymouth Savoy 4 door sedan......yuk.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Summer of 55 Dad brought home a brand new 55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop demonstrator v8 car in red and white with factory air. We took a long drive in it and it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Mom decided for whatever reason it wasn't for us so the chevy went back to the dealer and we ended up with a 56 Plymouth Savoy 4 door sedan......yuk.
:doh

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bingo, she sure was. You should have seen her face when I said "I voted for Reagan" in late '79, I thought she was going to have a stroke.
my mom voted for barry because she things he is a "nice man"...geeze louise, I can't deny she's my mom...dad always had weird cars, 2 gogo mobiles, 55 ford wagon, and the the boat, a 61 pontiac 389 4 barrel catalina...he thought he owned the road in that land yacht...that was sold in favor a a 66 dodge coronet 500 with a 383 4 barrel...that became my car after school when mom was done with that...

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wife's parents were both democrats. They brought her up that way. They hated Reagan. You could tell their political preference by the cars they drove when I met her. However, to this day she thanks me for opening her eyes. Keep in mind that if your not a little liberal when your young, your not living. If your not a little conservative when your older, you haven't learned much, or your a deadbeat that has not accomplished much in your life and are still living off the system that you hope will save you from yourself. :D