Supporting Member 4
Nice hood ornament............:brow
Thanx for pics...........I remember the days well........:cool:
:cheers
bj

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Don , Some people say I was around before the Pope was Polish !:dunno and General Motors was a private !:dunnoOh Yeah !! and the Dead sea was only sick !!:dunno

:crazy:dance:cheers

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
1958importautoshow_04_1500-700x558_zpsd9bc67ee.jpg

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
anybody notice the 9 cent a gallon gas in the video......:doh

what ever happened to those days.......:dunno

that rumble cam is great.......:beer

bj

bobs409

Administrator
I could sure go for some of those gas prices. That was insane!

Or err, wait a minute. I paid $40 dollars for just over 10 gallons of gas yesterday. :rub Yep, THAT'S insane. :mad

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Brian , You are so right !! When I was born there were no cars manufactured for the general public , (1943 ):eek
WW II
My Dad had a 1939 Chevrolet that he and my uncle picked up from the assembly plant in Tarrytown New York in November 1939 and drove back to Long Island. He bought it from FRAME CHEVROLET in Mineola N.Y. for $495.00. That Chevy Dealer is now an Entenmans Bakery outlet store. I remember when I was a kid me and my buddies used to go to the dealership in October and try to sneak a peek at the new cars in the snowroom and the storage yard before the announcement date. :hideThe showroom glass was covered with what we called Glass Wax so you couldn't see in. When the cars were delivered they all had canvas covers much like the BMW and Audi do today. You really had to try hard to see what the new models looked like.
So YES , I am old. But I loved every minute of it. :love

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
No cars built when I was born either. Dad tried to buy a new car off the showroom floor in 1945 (a new 1942 Chev sedan) They would not sell it to him. I guess it was the only car they had. How did the dealers survive those war years.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Ron , I bought that 1939 Chev from my Dad for a $1.00 in 1966, fixed it up and sold it for $2,200. Lots of memories in that car. I think I still have the original invoice on that car from Frame Chevrolet. I think the shipping and destination charge was around $35.00. I remembeer my Dad telling me he was not about to pay that kind of money to have the car shipped to Mineola.:deal

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In the video with the rumble seat camera and .09 cent gas,
anyone know where and when that was taken........:rub

bj

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No cars built when I was born either. Dad tried to buy a new car off the showroom floor in 1945 (a new 1942 Chev sedan) They would not sell it to him. I guess it was the only car they had. How did the dealers survive those war years.
During the war they sold used cars. My grandmother had six brothers four of which all had car lots after WWII. What got them started was during the war my uncle Henry. They grew up in Yakima Washington. My uncle Henry was in the Navy and stationed in Seattle Washington. Henry said during the war everyone wanted a 39' Chevy in this part of the country and they would bring a top price so, he would put a false add in the Seattle Times for a 39' Chevy and give an address that was way out in the country and no phone number with of course a low price. Mean while he had his younger brothers answering adds and buying up the other good cars listed in the Seattle Times.

Stotsenberg Motors 1.jpgStotsenberg Motors 006 585x242.jpgStotsenberg Motors 007 585x497.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a 1945 2 door Ford here in NS, an original paint 20,000 mile car.

Don

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Great pics Brian.......is that Shirley Shahan, the Drag-On Lady?
Geeez, almost thought that said One Ton Paula was the prize.....:eek
As for loving a woman with a stick in her hand.......and I do.....:love
all you fishermen out there should remember this quote from...

SHAKESPEAR: "HAPPINESS IS A ROD IN YOUR HAND".........
Used to have a t-shirt with that on it when I went fishin'...:brow
bj

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'm sure that is Shirley BJ. This picture of her (from NHRA site) looks like it could be in the same car.

ss1.jpg