Cars

RussC

Well Known Member
I sense a story coming.
Is that an original 409 car?

We've discussed Bowling...beer...and confusing wheels...but is the second car Thumper?? When I picked up the Jackshaw car I was told of a recent discovery from the same barn Jackshaw was in. A 61 Impala that was obviously an old race car. The car was in the back corner covered with junk There was supposition that it might be Don Nicholson 61. Would I like to see it? Of course!
Here is where things get a bit strange. The Jackshaw came out of a well known estate. The estate had sold Jackshaw to a friend.. who I purchased the car from. Those who know the estate will tell you everything is secretive...to the point of being strange. The 61 was setting outside in front of the fellows shop. The friend would take me...but I might get run off...but hey if this was Nicholson's car I had to go The 61 was setting outside...with security cameras everywhere The owner wasn't there. An inspection quickly determined it was not Don's car...it didn't have one piece bumpers and the cross member didn't have the Nicholson mods. That being said the car was clearly an old race car. It had been repainted probably in the 70s. There looked to be lettering under the white paint...there were tow bar tabs...period ladder bars. The car had a factory 4 spd tunnel. We snapped a couple of photos and made our retreat!

After some research comparing the rather distinctive tow bar tabs and the unusual blue insert to Thumper it seems likely the cars are
one and the same. Threre are some discrepancies. Thumper had a blue interior. The car I looked at was red. Even though the car was a 4 spd it had a small block trunk emblem. It appeared when the car had been repainted it had been returned to the street. The car had a 70s Ohio plate. Maybe the interior and trunk were changed at that point??? Would love to see the trim tag

So is the car Thumper? Several of us are in probably to yes category??????? That's the story

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
37117240_2286273298051260_965038177423196160_o.jpg