Cars

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

How about a great story regarding this car?

The Royal Bros were successful racing this 1962 Bubbletop 409 all over West Texas, Amarillo, Dallas etc.

They ultimately sold the car, but their younger brother always wanted it.

When the younger brother finally got into the working world he began searching for the car.

He always kept it in mind even as he worked for a Chevy dealer in Dallas as parts manager.

Giving up, he finally bought a 62 Bubbletop and began amassing parts to build the replica of his older brothers car.
Being a Chevy parts manager he was able to find lots of parts to finish his quest.
However, before he could really get the rebuild started he passed away.

I get this phone call last year from a guy that was his friend wanting to sell everything.

I help him with a plan and he sold everything to a couple of people out of town.

As we discussed the project he began to tell me about his friend looking for this particular car for decades. He describes the car and shows me the same picture above.

I asked, “this was his brothers car”?

He said yes, and I said, don’t tell his wife, but that car is about 45 miles from where he lives!!

He almost fell out of the chair!!

Yes, that car is currently owned by a 348-409 member here, Barry Taylor!!!

Seems Barry’s father, Buddy Taylor owner of the Friendly Chevrolet Z-11 Impala bought it for Barry for I believe his 16th birthday! Barry has owned it since.

Amazing how old race cars keep a flame burning inside us, in this case 1 car for 2 guys.