CARSINC POOR WORKMANSHIP

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Spoke with CARSINC a couple days ago concerning the new interior I purchased from them for my ‘57. Had it professionally installed. A couple weeks ago noticed the seam right in middle of front seat was not right. Looked to be sewn poorly/wrong and in a very short time would come apart there. Had a professional upholster (Randy at Earlville) look at it and he said it was sewn poorly. Contacted CARSINC and sent pictures. After a couple rounds of conversation, CARSINC said to send cover to them and they would “look at it and fix”. No cost and shipping one way. I said they should pay shipping both ways because it wasn’t my mistake. Salesman finally agreed to do this after some lengthy discussion. My upholstery installer wants $150.00 to take seat out, cover off, reinstall and put seat back in. I asked CARSINC to pay for this too as it’s their poor workmanship that is resulting in the additional cost. Talked with a supervisor about this. He refused saying he’s sorry, but CARSINC would not pay. (He said he did have authority to do so, but would not.) I'm not a happy camper about this. When I told him that I'd relay what CARSINC is doing and not doing on a couple car websites that I'm a member of, he said he didn't care what I did. No wonder he's a supervisor. I know having and restoring an older car isn't a cheap hobby. Just hate to pay twice for something I didn't do. As you can tell from reading, you know how I feel. Just wondering how the others here think and would handle this. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

What are the opinions of those here?

It's my fault because I didn't go over the stitching?
It's my upholster's fault for not going over the stitching before installation and catching it?
It's CARSINC fault for not having good quality control going over the stitching and catching it?
CARSINC is only responsible to fix it?
CARSINC should pay how much for shipping? One way or both ways?
Should CARSINC pay for taking cover off and on?
I should pay for taking cover off and on?
Phil should pay for taking cover off and on?

Fuzz

002.JPG003.JPG005.JPG008.JPG010.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Lot of who's fault. If your upholstery guy can fix it have them send material if they will ,you take seat out ( how hard is that) take to him. No matter what sounds like you will pay for your guy's labor. Oh did Phil set in your car and do that?:D Send bill to Phil..

Last edited:

RussC

Well Known Member
I have done a fair amout of business with Cars over the years. I recently had a set of 65 buckets that the covers would not fit over. I had their new foam. Took photos..they said ship back ( my cost). They looked them over and said they were fine. Shipped them back (my cost). We tried them with the old seat foam..still didn't fit. We cut the foam and redid some side skirts. The side skirts were clearly too short. I will never buy anything from Cars again.

chuckl

Well Known Member
From what I can see, not only is the sewing quality poor; it looks like the red material is of very poor quality and will continue to separate when pressure/stress/body weight is put on it. This material, if resewn, will just keep splitting along the sewn line, especially if multiple holes are punched near the line. Also, it looks like the stitching is way too close to the edge of the material. So, it is not just a matter of resewing the same piece of material, and "poof" the problem is solved. I am not a professional, but have sewn many interiors for my own cars. This is a poor job, and it will continue to plague you in the future. Just my two cents worth. :furious:furious Chuckl

Junky

Well Known Member
It's my fault because I didn't go over the stitching?................YES
It's my upholster's fault for not going over the stitching before installation and catching it?...........YES
It's CARSINC fault for not having good quality control going over the stitching and catching it?............YES
CARSINC is only responsible to fix it?......... YES
CARSINC should pay how much for shipping? One way or both ways?....... Both ways, but you are lucky if they pick it up at all.
Should CARSINC pay for taking cover off and on? ........ YES, but don't expect them to do so, because it won't happen (see next line)
I should pay for taking cover off and on?...... YES, if you want it repaired correctly. Most manufacturers cover materials and workmanship, not labor. I expect to get zinged for labor, because that is the way that every warranty today is written. Consumers have to fight for everything, and it is unfortunate that the manufacturers don't feel the need to do a better job.

I went through a similar problem with Ciadella, and never got it resolved by them. Take a look at the thread, and it is clear in the pictures that the seat covers had gross flaws in manufacturing. I had to ask my credit card company to step in and they did a charge back, and I returned the covers at my expense. Had new covers made by Cars, and the first set, under examination had a flaw, so it went back and was remade correctly the second time. The upholstery shop checked it for flaws, and everything was good, so I said to install it. When I picked it up, I found that the cloth part of the seat was way off compared to what it should be. Sent them a sample of the OEM material, and was told that was the only material available to them. I asked if they would remake the seat cover if I sent them the correct cloth, and it has been about a month without an answer. I can get the correct cloth from SMS in Oregon, and all that I would like is to have my seat look correct. Even if they remake it with the correct material, I will be paying the cost of the cloth ($150 a yard aprox + shipping), and to have the seat cover removed and reinstalled.

Phil should pay for taking cover off and on? ...... NOPE... Phil gets beat up enough by everyone, and takes it all in stride. He is just about 1 day of running out of money, and standing on the corner with a tin cup, begging for his next meal and cup of coffee.

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
I think I'd talk to the credit card people again and ship the whole mess back, even if I had to eat some shipping.

I am not willing to burn that bridge, because in the end, I know that one way or another, it will get taken care of, even if I have to ask for intervention help from a friend. There are not that many companies supporting our hobby today, and I believe in supporting them as best that I can, and I also understand that the employees are sometimes micro managed, and can't make the decisions that they want, because of upper level management dictates. I have been both a consumer and a manufacturer, and I know how to handle problems. The idea is to bring them around to your way of thinking, without being overly burdensome. I have seen some small independent stores loose customers over a $6 item return, because it wasn't handled properly. Even with my problems with Ciadella's covers, I know that this was one that got away from them, and they weren't willing to step up and make it right. I also know that they can make a perfect cover. It is just that there is no consistency in my opinion, to guarantee that what you will get is perfect every time. I only know of one company that delivers perfect seat covers every time, and has a quality control department that doesn't let anything out the door unless it is perfect. Once a year, they sell off the ones that didn't make it past inspection, and if it is too bad, it is destroyed and not sold. They value their reputation, and don't want it trashed on a website.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cars is responsible to replace and cover complete shipping. They are not responsible for your installation cost or any other cost you chose to make during the install or after.
I do like the Phil option.

alexm900

Well Known Member
It blows because it's shoddy workmanship, and it costs you money, time and probably pain and suffering as well, but from the supplier's standpoint, covers should have been inspected by the buyer upon receipt, covers should have been inspected by the installer upon receipt, CarsInc has next to no liability for all expenses occurring thereafter, if not cleared by them prior, this includes return shipping costs if the product is faulty. This is pretty much industry standard. Maybe rest on it and negotiate a peaceful resolve with CarsInc before going postal.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What Cars should do: There is no reson to get that seat cover back, it can't be repaired for resale as new. They should just send you a new one you can do what you want with the bad one.
HOWEVER, if you continue to try to bad mouth them and I was the manager I would just refund your cost of that seat and call it quits and NOT sell you anything else so you can go out and try to match what you have

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Id say you are lucky they admitted to anything. Ive had issues with them over a 61 interior and they would never admit to doing anything wrong.

alexm900

Well Known Member
CarsInc will obviously stick by their Terms and Conditions. For "Returns" ... "All packages must be opened and inspected by the customer within 5 days of invoice date" and "Installed or altered items are non-returnable". For "Liability" ... "In the unlikely event of premature failure of items sold by us, we invite you to discuss the matter so that an appropriate adjustment may be made" and "liability in all events is limited to, and shall not exceed the purchase price paid". This is available on their website carsinc.com/sales-and-shipping-information

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Damn guys, now you've got me worried. I ordered the complete interior kit for the 61 bubble top to be delivered to the Springfield swap meet in a couple of weeks. I did get the kit for the 63 from CARS and had them deliver it to Springfield as well. I guess it was OK because I put it on myself, I probably wouldn't know the difference.

greatchevy

these seat covers were purchased in 2017 and did not send pictures or willing to just wanted to post part of the story to try and force CARS to do things the way he wants how many companies would cover all cost after 2 years

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
these seat covers were purchased in 2017 and did not send pictures or willing to just wanted to post part of the story to try and force CARS to do things the way he wants how many companies would cover all cost after 2 years
So how do you know when he got covers and which member are you talking about, junky or fuzz.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

If you're talking about the OP, if they're 2 years old at time of reporting problem Cars should tell him "pound sand"