Carter AFB parts

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not wanting to wait for the carb vendor to send me new parts I was wondering.

1. Will Edelbrock Needle and seats fit in the Carter AFB, was looking at the 1465 part number ones since they are spring loaded like the ones in it now.

2. Float hieght and float drop, I reset the floats a tad lower and blew out the needle and seats, they were stuck half open half closed, what is the correct way and measurements to do this? Remember it's a dual quad..kinda

PS I'd buy a book but you all no more than it:D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Tic: Don't know about the needle and seat, but I know the Edelbrock floats are smaller than the original AFB floats. I bought a set from Summit and sent then back because of the float height/drop issue's because of their smaller size. Skip:)

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I set my Carter Competition series 600 carb floats with a 7/16" drill bit placed under the end of the float farthest away from the needle and seat with the gasket in place, not on the float seam though just under the float. If that's what your asking!

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I set my Carter Competition series 600 carb floats with a 7/16" drill bit placed under the end of the float farthest away from the needle and seat with the gasket in place, not on the float seam though just under the float. If that's what your asking!

Yup thats what I needed. You place the drill bit lengthswise to the float not accross the float which would hit the seam. If so mine are now a tad to low:D

Skip the Edelbrock part number 1465 is a set of needle and seats. They call them off road type cause they have a spring in them like the AFBs already had. There's also a 1466 no spring type.

The vendor is sending replacment parts but I am as usual to much in a hurry so I wanted to find some loacaly.

thanks

:bow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yup thats what I needed. You place the drill bit lengthswise to the float not accross the float which would hit the seam. If so mine are now a tad to low:D

Skip the Edelbrock part number 1465 is a set of needle and seats. They call them off road type cause they have a spring in them like the AFBs already had. There's also a 1466 no spring type.

The vendor is sending replacment parts but I am as usual to much in a hurry so I wanted to find some loacaly.

thanks

:bow

No, you place the drill bit across the float but not far enough to hit the seam. I just rechecked my measurments and the 9000 series AFB calls for 9/32" not 7/16" sorry for the misinformation.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are 16-890 metering rods combined with 394 primary jets overly rich combonation?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic, I cant find where you identify carbs 500cfm?600cfm/625cfm 750cfm? Sorry, I dont know what size that Carter metering rod is. Can you measure with dial calipers? If you have 600cfm, .094 is a pretty lean primary jet, but rod size may by right for it. Ray, re-building 750 Edelbrock right now, going through some of my stuff and found Carter instructions ,,, probably an aftermarket kit, shows Carter 9000 series float drop set with 7/16 drill bit. Edelbrock says 3/8 ???? Funny, I have never noticed that before. Differance being what Skip said. Different size floats. A float is a float , as long as you use the correct drop for the float being used, at least that is my opinion.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
starting from small end .045 next step .073 then rod size .080
afb 9625 625cfm

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
.094 jet with .073x.045 rod I think a 600cfm comes with .100 jet and .070x.047 rod. Sounds pretty good to me. Probably about 2 to 2 1/2 steps lean. I like lean, however with the huge volume of that big *** intake manifold, you might be getting too lean. Keep the jet and rod combination you have and fix the flooding issue , then put some miles on it and see how it does.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL I hear ya man! I am trying to figure out the jetting and such and well it's pig latin to me right now.
I think the flooding issue will be resolved tonight after I can the needle and seats in the rear carb plus I need to swap plugs. Kinda fouled mine out:D
I reset all of the floats made sure I am barley touching the idle speed screw and it runs better but I did not like the way the rear carbs needle and seats would stick so I am changing them. If I have issues still I may try and notch them down to 500's, you can do this on Carters pretty easily, and see what happens.

It's close very close to good to go.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Crap!!! Got it backwards. Too many steps from there to here. 7/16 Edelbrock 3/8 Carter

Yes Ronnie, 7/16" for the Edlbrock, but my book shows 9/32" for the stock Carter 9000 series! I'm sure I run my 600 cfm Carter Competition series carbs at the 9/32" setting, seems to run alright. You know you can lean or richen the system with the float to some degree. May be another tuning tool :dunno Quite a difference between 9/32" and 3/8" as float settings go!