cast 409 pistons on ebay??

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyone know anything about the cast pistons being advertised on ebay by maddog racing. Phil or Aubrey or other builders have you got a line on these?

Thanks, Ray

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
why junk?

American made in the old factory where they made Jahns pistons. I might be wrong about the brand, but from old patterns from a recently defunk mfg. Email Maddog for particulars. They have always been up front with me about suppliers. As far as cast pistons vs forged, it depends on the use.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
pistons

If you are going to take the time to build a high performance engine. You don't put cast pistons in it. Or any parts that are considered weak. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 340hp pistons were cast but they have a steel strut support cast into them. As I understand, the aftermarket pistons don't have that. I've heard some horror stories of the new, 409, cast pistons breaking. I think that the aftermarket 348 cast pistons are OK, since they have a smaller bore.
Ross

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And I therefore have no intention of being the next horror story. thanks guys

Ray

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I have heard the steel strut issue before........and it may have some merrit, but I have built many small blocks useing sealed power/ fed mogual cast pistons that did not have a steel strut (unless it was hid when piston was cast) never hear of a problem with those, wonder why????? :dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have examined and used EGGE cast pistons for W heads in the past. They cast incredible amount of "meat" in pin boss area. Do you need forged pistons to idle your 409s around the Dairy Queen? How much strength needed for your applicaion? If money is no object, use forged. Personally , I will continue to use cast in street motors, forged in my race motors.

Ditto cast pistons in a Mark IV, and there's not steel "strut" and let's not quibble over .060 in piston diameter. For a STREET engine, one that's rarely or never rev'ed to 6000 RPM a cast piston is actually better, which is why Chevy put cast pistons in the 360-390hp 427 and forged pistons in solid lifter motors. A QUALITY cast piston like the Egge seems to be is a perfectly OK piston for a street motor.
I hate to kill the "street 409 needs a forged piston". 90% of ALL non-solid lifter engines made by ALL manufacturers were cast. If you have the money and want to spend it on forged, by all means go ahead.

Now let's have a discussion on cast vs Moly rings and bore finish for best oil control on a street motor.

HHMM.... We're talking a difference of maybe $300 in total cost, for an engine that is worth a MINUMUM of $4000 - $10,000 when completed ( obviously depending on which model ).
For $300, I'll choose the custom made forged unit... even for a 5000 RPM street engine.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not to beat a dead horse to death, but I just recieved latest EGGE pistons for a customers 340 h.p. rebuild. They now have steel inserts is outer boss area. Is EGGE listening to customer concerns? Sure looks like it. Its hard to argue with Aubreys logic, but $679-$300 = $379 . True thats not much compared to value of motor but $379 is still a lot of money for this poor boy, if I am confident the pistons match the application, Ill still go with cast. But make no mistake about it, If money is available, I would use forged for everything.