Cast Iron Trans. Case

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of restoring the engine compartment of my '62, while I wait for my '09 to get done. Turning out quite nice thus far. At least its going to be clean looking. I was going to take the tranny out by myself if it was aluminum case. Checked it with a magnet and it stuck. Cast iron case. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder not too long ago, and I don't want to go through that again. So, I do have a transmission jack which I will use or call my son-in-law who would help. I guess I'm really surprised that the case was cast iron. I would have suspected aluminum. I'm not going to change anything, but I'm wondering if cast iron is period correct?? I really don't think my car came with a 4 speed. I think the previous deceased owner cloned this car into an SS model and the present drivetrain. He did a good job with detail and if this trans. isn't correct, I'd be surprised. Its a T-10 trans. Your thoughts?? Thank you, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The cast iron case T 10. Transmission was last used,in the 61 models. All 1962 T 10 transmissions were aluminum cased.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The cast iron case T 10. Transmission was last used,in the 61 models. All 1962 T 10 transmissions were aluminum cased.

OK. Thanks. I had the date manufactured as supplied by the previous owner, but can't find it. I'll get that code from it when I pull it out this week. I want to see this date myself. They were wrong about the motor, so who knows??? I do know its cast though, Carmine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What is the trim tag code for your interior? That will tell us if your car came with bucket seats or not and if it did come with buckets then it is a real SS.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What is the trim tag code for your interior? That will tell us if your car came with bucket seats or not and if it did come with buckets then it is a real SS.
I don't recall what the trim code is off hand. I did have it once and researched it. It was something like a Fawn interior with vinyl/cloth for the seats. It is my understanding that all SS interiors were vinyl only; no cloth. I knew that it was an SS clone before I bought it. It didn't matter, because it appeared that someone had done it up right. The only thing my car lacks from an original SS, in addition to the cowl tag, is that plastic piece "Supersport" that goes in the steering wheel horn ring. I already bought one of those. Everything else is identical; from the hubcaps to the grab bar to the tach. Overall, I am very happy with this car. It is from Montgomery, Alabama and was undercoated. Remarkably great condition. No body work or paint needed. Just a good machine compound and polish will do it. Besides, having an original '62 SS 409 in this condition, would have been cost prohibitive to me. I knew what ever car I would buy, the motor would have to go and I would insert a 409 in its place. That was a given. I could never see breaking up an original car to do this. So, this car became a perfect candidate. Thus far, I'm replacing a lot of parts. Some probably don't need it, but its peace of mind for me. Mostly, just a lot of elbow grease. There's 52 years of accumulated dirt, grime and grease underneath that's getting the proper attention. I have all winter to fool with this car. While I'm rambling on, I don't have to tell some of you, those 409's are expensive to do over. I guess the expense is in the initial purchase and associated parts. Machine work should be about the same. But again, its something I knew and wanted. I hope to post some pics on the future, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just came in from the garage and getting the trans. ready for removal. As I initially reported, I thought this trans. was completely cast iron. I looked at the tail section and it appeared to be aluminum. Tried the magnet and it wouldn't stick. Tried the front case and it stuck just like before. The front part of this trans. is cast iron and the tail section is aluminum. Is this unusual or weird??? I thought it would be the same metal throughout. I got this info from the tail: 4-26-61 T10-7B. From the front case I got this: B-1-1 T10-1B. Any idea what this is all about??? Thanks, Carmine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cast iron main case and aluminum tail shaft was standard through 61'. The only exception was 409 and corvette which used aluminum main case. 62' up all used aluminum main case.