Cheap heater core alternative

Gus68

Well Known Member
Hey thought I would pass this along. I've been working on my heater box and heater core in my 62 belair and was looking for a new one. I found they were pretty expensive. NAPA wanted 138 bucks for one plus shiping cause it wasn't in any of their wear houses. But my guy (awesome by the way) said bring the old one in, we have a book with dimensions, maybe we can find something close. Well he found that a heater core for a 67-68 Camaro with a 396 (has to be 396. Must have a different heater box?) would be close, BUT he had to special order that too. So I checked at Advance auto. The said, Oh yea we can get that overnight. And if it was wrong, just send it back no big deal. Oh AND it was $41.99!!!! So ordered it up, I cannot tell the difference between the Camaro one and my old one except the new one is shiny!!!!! Thought this might help some one out!!!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
have it pressure tested first, before you install. jmho jim
That is some great info but, I agree to presure test before you install it. At that price makes me wonder who manufactured it. I sure hope it dosn't spring a leak.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
NAPA will typically be more expensive than the other retailers.

I purchased a heater core for my '62 five or so years ago from Rock Auto. Worked well out of the box. Looks like they're up to about $50-65 there now depending upon brand.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Gus, yes the big block Camaro has the inlet and outlet moved for valve cover clearance. Good info on the heater core!

bobs409

Administrator
Everything is up. I just priced a halogen headlight for my 71 Chevy truck... $15.99! These used to be 5 bucks a pop not THAT long ago. :rolleyes I guess I'm just gettin' old. :D

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
is that with or without A/C, is there a difference ? and is 61 and 62 the same ?

Gus68

Well Known Member
My car does not have AC, Not sure about the Camaro application. Couldn't tell you if 61 is the same as 62, I would guess yes but that would be just a guess. Bet a good parts guy could tell ya.