Chevy II 409 Custom Oil Pan?

dean409

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

Been out the loop for a while. New job, new house, sos....:bang

Since I'm poor, and the Ken Smith front end I've had my eye on is way beyond budget, I've decided to stuff my 454 with Chevy II oil pan in my '65 Nova and crate the 409 till I can save up enough bread to get the front end. But...before I do that, I'd like to look at options. I'd really like to stuff the W in there without having to scrimp and save for years.:doh

Why couldn't the stock 6 quart oil pan be customized to fit, like the V8 notched oil pans? Anyone out there that could do that for me?

Is there an affordable front end revamp I can do without needing a custom oil pan, i.e. Mustang II/rack and pinion or such steering?
:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Anything can be done Dean. :D

I had a guy notch out my 409 pan to fit my 66 Chevelle frame. (at the time, I didn't have a welder)

Just a little metal and a welder is all that's needed. :brow Maybe someone here is looking for work and can do it. lol

Bob

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My nephew has a 540 in a '63 Chevy II with Mustang II under the front and I'm sure he didn't have to alter the oil pan...........

Where's Ronnie...... he had that old 9 second 409 truck engine in his Chevy II, he'll be able to tell you how to get it in there.

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's so easy , most overlook it. Barry figured it out while we had the car stripped down. Reverse the steering knuckles. Right to left,,left to right. Tie rod holes will now be to the front. Use universal pinto rack and pinion. Job done........

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dean,

Now that there tip from Ronnie is worth at least a cold bottle of his favorite brand
of beer. It's just great to have friends that will share info that will save a guy
a lot of headache / expense.

dean409

Well Known Member
THANX RONNIE!!!:clap
I remember talking to a Chevy II guy years ago about this and he said the knuckles weren't parallel to the ground so if you reversed them they'd interfere with the 'frame'. I thought that was that and drank heavily as a result. :beerbang Been drinking ever since. It's all his fault. *******. :cuss Hey, I'm Irish. Mind you, I've had a '71 Nova for 20 years and that's a diff animal as we all know, basically a Camaro-Chevelle hybrid, so the Deuce to me is some kinda mad scientist massaged Corvair with the mill in the nose, where it should be. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. No offense to any Corvair culties out there.
So, as far as the racky-pinny steering goes, will salvage yard Mustang II pieces or after market offerings be a blanket solution?
A bottle? Hell, I'm thinking a case of cervza for every helpful hint! He'll have a warehouse full by the time it's through!:bow
I get a sick pit in my stomach thinking about altering a good 6 qt W pan anyway. I cannot express how happy this makes me! I've read about adapting 68-72 disckies to Chevy II's, so I'll do both in one sweep.
My brother and I are about to get to work!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dean, I can P.M. the phone number of the guy that bought the car, in case you would like to look and maybe get some ideas. He is in Garland . Let me know.

dean409

Well Known Member
Thanx Ronnie! I work in Garland, live close by, so that would be greatly appreciated, not to mention convenient. We'll start work on it next month, so I'd like to start gathering parts for it asap.

dean409

Well Known Member
Ernie over at ET Auto tells me I need the early '71-'73 Pinto r&p. I see them from Summit, etc for around $159. I also have seen a disc brake kit for $267. That's $426 before you throw in the coupler and brackets. Not to mention the beer needed for such endeavors. And I can use the stock pan. Never messed with the Pinto r&p, but it seems pretty simple. I've seen a header kit for $199 too, so I'd just have to find someone to craft them for me. Hopefully they won't have to exit in the fender wells. I can still remember corner muffler shops that used to do that. Did I mention the beer it takes for these endeavors? Just checking.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dean save your beer cans from this project. I hope to be able to schedule to take Brian's pickup down to Texas to him and take a motor to Ronnie's. Since Dick MacKenzie has offered to help drive I need to have something to fill the trailer up on the way back and we all know that Dick is saving his aluminum for one of Bob's aluminum blocks.
robert

dean409

Well Known Member
The things they can do with beer cans these days, Robert. Mobile homes and 409 components. I never related the two until now. Who'da thunk it.

What year model pickup? Don't think I've met Brian. W motor I'm assuming?

Speaking of recycled beer cans, I still haven't gotten over the Edelbrock pieces. Wow. Never would I have guessed someone would start making that stuff. Glad they're updated pieces instead of replicaing outdated design. There's finally a good intake for these motors. The Offy I've got is lousy. Saving my pennies for the water pump, though.

Are those beer can blocks Bob's poring stock deck height? Or are they like the Walden hybrid Rat motor things?