Chevy what? 69 GMC 348 SHOP TRUCK BUILD

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Today was a pretty good day, I got the bench seat cleaned up and put in the shop truck. Yelled at the old lady told her I was going down to our local lake and ask her if she wanted to go out for a ride in the shop truck? She jumped up and slipped on her shoes and off we went. This bench seat is so comfortable, it came out of a 1969 c-20. I gave $125 for it. Thought that was pretty reasonable since some of the seats with just nothing left but frames were $200. My wife even appreciated how comfortable it was. The foam is it really good shape so I’m thinking about taking it to the poultry shop and have it recovered in red to match the interior. Took it out on the pavement and drove around nice and easy and it ran really well no problems wipers work all the lights work turn signals etc. I decided with my tendencies to burn a tire like Don said to drop it down in low and roll about 25 mile an hour and punch it. It woke up real nice with Positrac black marks and shifted into second and left rubber for about three or 4 feet. There you go Don, you ain’t wrong About my tendencies. Probably need to take it down to LA hot rods and restriped the road for him . Jim noticed The striping wasn’t quite right out in front of his house. And I am sure the MG couldn’t take on a job such as this! Anyway here’s a couple of pics and my wife really likes the truck which is a bonus. She hated my black C-10 with the blower motor in it. I think maybe because it was loud and smelly. Kinda like me at times, well most of the time....:crazy
1B766CC7-4B1F-4045-B9B5-BC72C560D4D3.jpegCF61BB35-66AB-4D7C-825D-C97DB51F90EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Met with Coots today in Wright City to pick up my heads I bought from Denny, Thanks for getting them to me for no shipping cost, well almost no cost. I gave Dave a Care package And hope that it doesn’t affect the Percision rifle shoot competition. :confused Well at least I know the AMISH hat won’t affect it:dunno Thanks Denny, Dave good luck!!!31BFEB66-96B1-482B-847D-7DADC7454E55.jpeg:good

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Test fitting some AMD doors before painting. Their stuff fits really well. And they guarantee it to fit or they’ll give you another one. The hardest thing is gonna be trying to match this old white paint for the shop truck. Not too shiny not to dull or flat....No worries though it is a shop truck after all. Will be hauling and throwing stuff in the back and running the heck out of it...will take a little more time for final fit after paint.:woohooE907434A-7F69-4556-B07A-794FDDA3B597.jpeg0AE2CE5D-D916-4460-80BF-C6485666EBB1.jpegF92C8C18-41EE-494F-884C-8D64936FE491.jpeg
Can’t wait for the “W” V-8:dance

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Went to Ralph Dehne’s yesterday and watched him work on the 63 Z-11 Clone. Well I actually helped him a little too putting on new stall headers. He’s been running his Car lean for a while and it actually burned a hole through the downturn of the tube on his old headers. After piddling with the carburetors and the timing he finally has it now to where it’s running rich according to his pyrometer. It ran at 10.38 @ 126 mph And he said it still has a lot left in it. But he could hear the exhaust leak and when he open the hood he was:hide:shock2 Shocked to see the fire coming out of the hole aimed at his fuel regulator... Anyway the lien problem is solved and it’s got a new headers on it now so he can’t wait to get back to the track and make another hit. Meanwhile I went with him over to his other shop and he caught my interest with a run engine stand that he has been using for years. He said he has only had 348 and 409‘s on it up to this time. He said I needed it more than him with my upcoming builds,And made me an offer I couldn’t refuse! So He loaded it up in the back of my truck with his bucket and tractor.” See mom no lifting over 10 pounds yet”! The interesting thing is I also picked up some very nice valve covers timing chain cover pulleys water pump hoses coil and a plethora of other items that went with it. It has a thermostat control electric fan and a new radiator in it. Lakewood scatter shield And the headers all came with it too, I also found another set of Stewart Warner gauges in a bucket. Old school gauges water oil and amp. All these goodies!!!!! Thanks Ralph!!!!!!! I Think I’m going to cut the square tubing about 6 inches away from the radiator support brackets and put in some square tubing so I can slide in and out to lengthen the stand a little bit. That way I can put long pumps and electric pumps on big blocks and it won’t hit the electric fan on the radiator. Small modification. Notice the removable Tow hitch

Tow hitchA8F79627-113E-4BA8-8CB0-67775FF143A1.jpegE424364B-2074-4BF9-93C9-7A913847CF73.jpeg764455F8-4DD3-4438-9594-9297F9FD7F95.jpeg71137212-A019-4F6B-8080-642CA1A421FE.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have an Amish built wood stove to heat my shop, works really well if your woods dry and you have some time to wait for it to heat up. On days when I plan on being in the shop all day I fired up early and keep it stoked and it is a fantastic heat source. However on those days I’m only going to be in the shop for a couple of hours need something to knock the chill off. So I decided to use this 30,000 BTU propane heater that was in my mother’s garage. She sold her property and moved into senior housing. So I decided to take some 1 in.² tubing scrap and build me a cart with some harbor freight 2 inch polymer casters. This is how it turned out and it is fantastic! The heater has a blue flame and is ventless so no stinky, and it has a fan in the back of it to blow the heat out with force air. I can position it within a few feet of where I’m working and it heats up just fine for short stents in the shop.AEB141F4-223D-48DC-B181-6322F57E3CEA.jpeg9AAF80F5-18DD-451B-8A01-B44474D20979.jpeg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Two 30lb pound LP bottles will run for 50+ hours straight at full throttle on the heater. It does have a thermostat that cycles too it cost me $17 and change to fill each bottle. I can also put the heater inside my house and run the long hose out the window and seal it with a big piece of foam and put the bottle outside and heat my house if the electricity goes out!:juggle