Christmas Lights

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A number of years ago I bought lights with the big old fashioned bulbs and strung them along the peak of the house. A two story house. I nearly died getting them up there. They lasted less than a week before a stupid squirrel started biting through them. For years after we would find the bulbs buried all over the place!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Those lights, were another gift from Gook-Land. One light goes out, they all go out.:bang

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I just finished changing 142 bad bulbs on 12 strings of lights. Satan himself must of invented these things.
I used to work in a place that repaired Christmas Lights we could not charge enough as far as I was concerned but I had an old man in his 70's come in with a big old bag of knotted up lights all grumpy and crotchety and he starts going off about how ...."ever since we dropped the bomb on them (Japanese people) they have been getting back at us ever year with these DAMN Christmas lights." I used to laugh and chuckle as all the Christmas lights were made in China not Japan but I figured he would get MORE angry if I corrected him. Sometime just like in Animal House you are better off not.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I tend to keep it simple by putting a "candle" in each of the windows. It's fun at sunset to run into each room and plug things in, but later in the evening it's a pain to unplug everything. Might be the Dewars?
1275 Sunset Drive in the Snow.jpg
That's a pic from last Winter after a little snow fall.

Enjoy!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Tom quips: "That house probably looks bigger than it really is?"

The home has an interesting provenance. It was originally built in 1927 on 83 acres about 1 mile West of the MU campus by the recently retired President of the University of Missouri :) :) :). It's now been developed (in the mid 60s) and we now have about 2/3 of an acre. The Prez used to hunt around there back in the early 20s and began to acquire land adjacent to the University hunting lodge.

The previous owner did an addition in 1976 and we purchased it in 1984. It then had 6 tiny bedrooms and 2 teenie weenie bathrooms (like 30 square feet each). I has just received tenure at Mizzou and was making something like $22K a year at that time so it was wayyy above my pay grade :). We put a lot of sweat equity into it over the years :). In 1999 we added some 2250 square feet with a 750 square foot master bed/bathroom suite, trying to keep the architecture close to the original design. Both kids were born and raised here. Now it's just Barb and moi :).

Here's a little video we shot a few years back:

Enjoy! TomK

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Drone pics are cool. Looks like you've worked pretty hard to make a success of your development. I remember when you put things on hold years ago due to the economy. Congrats.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5

The home has an interesting provenance. It was originally built in 1927 on 83 acres about 1 mile West of the MU campus by the recently retired President of the University of Missouri :) :) :). It's now been developed (in the mid 60s) and we now have about 2/3 of an acre. The Prez used to hunt around there back in the early 20s and began to acquire land adjacent to the University hunting lodge.

The previous owner did an addition in 1976 and we purchased it in 1984. It then had 6 tiny bedrooms and 2 teenie weenie bathrooms (like 30 square feet each). I has just received tenure at Mizzou and was making something like $22K a year at that time so it was wayyy above my pay grade :). We put a lot of sweat equity into it over the years :). In 1999 we added some 2250 square feet with a 750 square foot master bed/bathroom suite, trying to keep the architecture close to the original design. Both kids were born and raised here. Now it's just Barb and moi :).

Enjoy! TomK
Does your wife now say "It's too big" !!!!:D

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

Enjoy! TomK

Man - I would hate to have to put shingles on that roof!:hide
John