Christmas Lights

chuckl

Well Known Member
Hey, I just discovered that stepping on Christmas light bulbs sounds just like stepping on acorns. Of course, it is night time, driveway is covered with squirrel food, wife had strung out the lights along the shrubs (in the driveway), I can't see s**t or hear s**t, and the wife is yelling something about stepping on lights. Oh well, I didn't want to put up those *$%@#!* lights tonight, anyway. :furious:furious:furious

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This is no tall tale. when we were kids, outdoor lights had bulbs that were about three inches long and about an inch in diameter around the fat part. They used to get quite hot after being on for a while, and one night about 8 PM or so, a rather sudden heavy rainstorm hit. As the cold water ran off the eaves of people's roof, the bulbs started popping as they broke. Some houses must have lost at least a third of their light bulbs in a few minutes. Makes me wonder how many watts of power a hundred or so of those lights must have used. The only red or green Christmas tree bulbs I have came from either Irwindale or Pomona after a race and they were put in the trash near the starting line. They were colored flood light bulbs, for the last 20 years or so, starting line Christmas trees have been LED's.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
When I was a kid, our Christmas tree had the 2 inch long lights on it. :clapAbout the size of a night light bulb. They used to get very warm. When they were touching a Tree branch, they would bring out the smell, of the Double Balsam.:cloud My mother would keep track, of how long the tree was on. :clapLuckily, we never had a fire.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This is no baloney. About two miles from here, is a family business on a corner on Route 66 in San Dimas that has a big tent and is a Christmas tree lot. All through the fall, they sell big pumpkins, and other seasonal effects from time to time. Next door to them on the side street is a kingdom hall of you-know-whos. I think its pretty funny. Any Christmas tree lot or seasonal holiday business that does business next to a kingdom hall has got to have a sense of humor. We always buy from them every year.

Last edited:

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is no baloney. About two miles from here, is a family business on a corner on Route 66 in San Dimas that has a big tent and is a Christmas tree lot. All through the fall, they sell big pumpkins, and other seasonal effects from time to time. Next door to them on the side street is a kingdom hall of you-know-whats. I think its pretty funny. Any Christmas tree lot or seasonal holiday business that does business next to a kingdom hall has got to have a sense of humor. We always buy from them every year.
Drive by it all the time, Starberry Farms, roadside market...