Chrysler V8 Air Raid Siren

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
In 1980 through 1986, I worked as a Power Equipment Mechanic for the Los Angeles County Mechanical Department main shop. We had an Off-Highway Equipment Repair section, and out back on a skid was an air raid siren like that. It had an iron Chrysler Hemi in it, either a 331 or a 354. They had Chrysler Fire Power embossed valve covers, and once a month, they were started up and tested county wide on the last Friday of the month at 10:00AM for about five minutes. They rotated a full 360 degrees on their base, and they were quite loud. One was across the road on top of a hill over East Los Angeles. They discontinued the test about 30 years ago, preferring more modern civil defense technology and they were decommissioned. Wonder what happened to all those iron Hemis?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
After my six years with the County, I went to LA City Department of General Services and worked at the Central Shop in downtown LA next to Union Station for the next 30 years. We maintained the City Hall fleet, which included City Council member's assigned vehicles, the Mayor's Office, and the related vehicles. One of the cars we worked on was a 1952 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton parade car. Three of those were built, three still exist. City of New York has theirs, the Peterson Museum has theirs, and LA still has theirs. They had the two barrel Hemi, but early in their lifetimes, these cars were called back by Chrysler and were updated, both externally and internally. One of the mods was a 4 barrel intake with a Carter WCFB carb. About 10 years ago, it seemed like a replacement WCFB was unobtainable, so we put an Edelbrock AFB replacement carb on it and then updated a few things. You can see those cars on Google, look up 1952 Chrysler Imperial parade cars for the whole story. They were one massively heavy car!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
These thing are on Youtube. Guy has one on a trailer behind his truck and fires it up! Bet the neighbors love him!
I have a weird neighbor that doesn't seem to get along with anybody.He gets up at 6 AM on weekends, uses his chain saw to trim bushes, blows off his yard and driveway with a leaf blower, mows his lawn and in general, doesn't have one ounce of consideration for anybody. It would be fun to have your acquaintance pull up, aim that siren at his house and light it off at some inopportune time for him, like an hour past his bedtime or something like that. This neighbor has been a pain in the posterior for about 20 years or so, so I'm sure nobody would mind seeing him get his.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
I know the feeling! A house fire is what it took to get rid of the "neighbor from hell" that used to live next to me. Guy was a real jerk with an attitude the size of a Buick!

He would be up all night working on the POS house with no respect for us. Who works on their house at 4am? He'd be up till 6-8am. Weirdo!

Junky

Well Known Member
I have a weird neighbor that doesn't seem to get along with anybody.He gets up at 6 AM on weekends, uses his chain saw to trim bushes, blows off his yard and driveway with leaf blower, mows his lawn and in general, doesn't have one ounce of consideration for anybody. It would be fun to have your acquaintance pull up, aim that siren at his house and light it off at some inopportune time for him, like an hour past his bedtime or something like that. This neighbor has been a pain in the posterior for about 20 years or so, so I'm sure nobody would mind seeing him get his.

Here is your answer..original siren.jpg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a neighbor who is an expert at playing the government...due to his skin color he got 20 million from obama and put 10 million into his house...12' from my fence sits a yellow and orange 25K square foot pimp home with a red metal roof...his kids are "enabled" so they have no jobs and play zulu music loud day and night...I bought an animal game caller...when I get pissed I use the remote and crank it uo all night at full volume...he must think we've got coyotes by the hundreds...to top things off he rents out his house to God knows how many folks and keeps 5 insane pit bulls in steel pens right against my fence...I put my new hog pen as close to his pool as I could...:D

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I read a story about 10 years ago regarding a neighbor feud where one guy pushed it to the point where his neighbor filled a very large beach ball with an oxyacetylene mix, put a very long fuse on it, then put it on the guy's porch against his front door around 2 AM one night. After lighting the fuse and hauling buns the thing went off with about ten times the effect that was initially planned on. The blast blew the bottom half of the door apart, broke windows in the downstairs rooms of the house, and set off car alarms all over the neighborhood. The perpetrator of this act of revenge had no idea that much gas could do that much, fortunately, he never got caught. Nobody got hurt, but could you imagine the scene it made?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
For your listening pleasure, go on Youtube and type in Yoga ball filled with oxygen acetylene blast. Turn the sound up a bit for maximum concussion effect.