Clone SS on ebay ???

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice car

I don't know the 63s very well at all, but I note that the seller doesn't mention the word "originality" very often, but he does seem to imply that this vehicle was a factory SS car, which I doubt (based on my limited knowledge of 63s).

It's certainly not an original high performance 409 car, if it was even ever a 409 car. Lots of time and talent went into this restoration (with many updates) but it was not intended to be a faithful-to-the-factory effort. I bet she looks really, really nice up close as well.

But you are correct in that it doesn't seem to be an original SS car. I could be wrong. Other than that, the seller seems to represent the detailing of the vehicle accurately. At that price, one would need to see the vehicle firsthand, or have it professionally appraised.

If it did take 1800 hours (and I can see how that can add up, having done a frame off and kept track of the hours myself), can you imagine what the shop bill was just for labor? I know how much the parts cost, but I rarely include labor since I seem to be the guy who tackles the job. OK, I outsource the exterior paint to save my lungs (plus I suck at the longboard!) and get lots of help from my friends... but we mostly trade our expertise back and forth.

I'd be interested to learn what other 63-conscious folks have to comment!

Best,
TomK

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The car has been for sale off and on for a long time in Hemmings. The seller has a lot of other interesting cars for sale.

Ricik

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I’m betting it started life as a white or yellow small block non SS rag top.

Probably has a low performance motor with aftermarket add ons. It is absent the expensive stuff. Lacking high performance headers, dual point distributor, GM intake manifold, stock AFB carbs, linkage and plumbing.

You would think for $100+ Grand, they would have at least bought an in dash tach. :roll :roll

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Why the color choices???

Jim: Process of elimination.

If it had been that gorgeous Honduras maroon color, they would have smartly left it alone. I’m thinking it may have had a red interior which was common with white cars. If it was yellow, they had to change the common brown interior.. Actually, just guessing… While red over red is common nowadays, they were not usually ordered that way back in the day..