Clutch linkage alienment "60"Elcamino

jeff hall

Well Known Member
When i ingage the petal the linkage shifts down, it doesn't push the fork straight back,it forces it downward. The z bar is new, clutch fork is new from show cars.Does the z bar- clutch fork need to be in alienment so that it has to push straight back? It seems the fork is shifting on the ball when ingaged because it is not straight back. I was sure the z bar was right,but now not so sure. The arm for push rod measurers 1 3/4" to hole for push rod.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
factory 60 & 61 chevy's used a threaded lower rod and pin and the Z bar and upper rod were 60-61 only. All the adjustment of the clutch & clutch free play is in the lower threaded rod. The upper rod on 60-61's (and 59's ) is not threaded and hooks to a factory pin on the Z bar.

62's & 63's used a non-threaded lower rod with a pin in the top of the clutch fork to connect to the lower rod.
All 62 to 64 Chevys had all of the clutch adjustment is in the upper threaded rod.

I have pictures of the right original 60 clutch linkage.
I just sold a complete set of original linkage for a 60 chevy.
Paul

jeff hall

Well Known Member
R-- after posted this I got to wondering if the top finger was not under the bearing yoke. also the way it acted maybe during putting it together some how the fork clips wound up on top of the yoke ball.I know this sounds unlikely but it didn't feel right. Now all I have to do is slide that cast iron t-10 back out and start over. the lower rod is threaded and pinned on the fork like pvs says. I have two z-bars for a 60 and they are the same. Finding out that the linkage works at a slight angle makes me feel the problem is my fault in missing something during assembly, again thanks for the info.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Sat too long with modern gas. Rebuilt the carb...new fuel pump..new points...new plug wires. Was running on 6 (V8)...runs on 7-7 1/2 now. Fuel fouls #2. Rockers...springs...push rods look OK. Haven't leaked it yet...that might tell me something. Might still be a carb issue? I put back in the barn...rather work on the race car awhile!