Clutch pedal sticking with high rpm shifts

Grape

Sorry I was thinking backwards. Yesterday, I did add a bunch of freeplay to the clutch so it would release with the pedal close to the floor. Today I will set the clutch gap with a feeler gauge and report back. It has been close to 30 years since have worked on manual transmissions. I was out of cars for a long time but got the bug again a couple years ago.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had this same problem with the 59, which had the over center spring.

If you haven't cured the problem, I'd try the block under the clutch so it doesn't go down so far (that is where the over center has the most effect). The adjustment was very sensitive to this problem.
Or getting rid of the over center spring would likely work and you could add the 62 and later fire wall spring in its place.

Grape

I had this same problem with the 59, which had the over center spring.

If you haven't cured the problem, I'd try the block under the clutch so it doesn't go down so far (that is where the over center has the most effect). The adjustment was very sensitive to this problem.
Or getting rid of the over center spring would likely work and you could add the 62 and later fire wall spring in its place.
I did have to add a spring under the dash to pull the pedal all the way up to the rubber stop. The over center spring was causing the pedal to hang about 3/4 of the way up. Adding the extra spring was much easier than getting the big one out of there.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did have to add a spring under the dash to pull the pedal all the way up to the rubber stop. The over center spring was causing the pedal to hang about 3/4 of the way up. Adding the extra spring was much easier than getting the big one out of there.
I was having the same sticky pedal feel after I put in the Centerforce last year before Bowling Green. I took the over center spring out and added a return spring down below and it has a much better feel. The pedal pressure was so light at first I kept thinking the linkage was broke. Once I got used to it I love it. For '61, there are instructions in the service manual on how to put the pedal in a relaxed position, then the spring will practically fall out...
Rick