Clutch release bearing information needed.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I have an 11" diaphragm clutch going in and want to install the best USA made release bearing. I have had bad luck with the "china" stuff and won't use them anymore. It is a standard size bearing. I don't know if Timkin is still a good one or where they are made. Any help.....would help.....thanks.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I did some research and found from (NOS) that the Bower BCA Clutch Throwout Bearing #614018 are in fact USA made. Oreilly's auto parts sells these under:
National Bearing $29.99
Part #: 614018 Line: BCA

at some point these bearing companies all merged together, Bower/Federal-Mogul/National. I had to go to the store and read the box. This does not mean that down the line it may change to an imported bearing.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Bower/BCA is actually owned by NTN Bearings (Japan). National seal is owned by Timken. Federal Mogul still has marketing arrangements to sell the seals and bearings. NTN does have several US plants.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Just as an aside, I have several Ford flatheads along with my 09. An old flathead buddy told me to drill a small hole in the case that is just behind the carbide bearing and inject with your favorite grease. Naturally you wash out the old grease. “Needle for grease gun” available at local auto parts. I have done it for years “works” let’s you use a real American made bearing. Some of the bearings I have used are 80 years old!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Trust me it works!
I forgot to add...you should put a dob of RTV or a tiny sheet metal screw to close the drilled hole (.093) or so.