Clutch return spring bracking

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
About a year ago I installed the clutch return spring on my 63 impala (409) it was an exact replacement from Showcars # 1080. It appeared to work fine. Goes from the z bar to the firewall. Next day or so when I looked under the hood noticed it broke. Last week I ordered another exact same thing happened, again broke in the exact same place, and again broke with no clutch pedal being pressed. It is installed exact as per the assembly manual. Anyone else had this occur to them?29893872-4786-4F28-B8FA-9BE696959F46.jpeg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Seems really strange that it would break in the exact same place. Especially if you purchased it from the same place that sources it products from the same supplier. Maybe a defective run?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Update...I noticed the spring broke again. This car has yet to be on the road. Just driven around the property. This is the third spring that broke. Showcars did ship it out as a replacement for free. Linkage is all factory nothing fabricated, This makes the third that broke in the exact spot.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Call them to discuss and send them pics of all 3 springs. If correctly installed it has to be bad manufacturing. Get them to send 2 more for free, they are not expensive.
Problem with sourcing another spring locally is finding one the same length and correct tension.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Call them to discuss and send them pics of all 3 springs. If correctly installed it has to be bad manufacturing. Get them to send 2 more for free, they are not expensive.
Problem with sourcing another spring locally is finding one the same length and correct tension.
The "same length and correct tension" is subjective. Some people like a firm feel and some do not. The length only matters if it fits in the correct location and does its job. My clutch car has a hardware store special and I never had any issues with it.

wristpin

Well Known Member
As soon as your next spring arrives have someone depress foot then you measure length of spring. Then pull spring and attach one end to something and other end to 5 gallon bucket handle. Add sand or broken ford parts to bucket until that spring is same length as depressed pedal length. That gives you spring tension you need. Now go to a harware store with your bucket of sand or ford parts and test springs on the spot. Buy 2 springs so you have a spare in the car.
Dont forget to get duct tape.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As soon as your next spring arrives have someone depress foot then you measure length of spring. Then pull spring and attach one end to something and other end to 5 gallon bucket handle. Add sand or broken ford parts to bucket until that spring is same length as depressed pedal length. That gives you spring tension you need. Now go to a harware store with your bucket of sand or ford parts and test springs on the spot. Buy 2 springs so you have a spare in the car.
I used my fish scale. Worked like magic but that was 20 years ago. Probably should look at getting a new one but it still works.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
:laugh2