Clutch time

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It's clutch time, what's your choice.. diaphragm or borg & beck?
I'm considering a Hay's 11 inch (dia) or maybe a Ram.
Ram says they use a kevlar disc.......any comments?

Hey BJ...
I like the aftermarket diaghram style. I DId use a Borg and Beck in my old Biscayne though. Stiffer pedal, but it had a very short travel... made for precise shifting.

The going concern these days is the Centre Force dual friction. Used on e once in a strong 454. Nice to drive, and easy on driveline parts.
Depends on your application.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
clutch

I have always used the Borg & Beck, except one time. I did try a diaphram one time in 63. The damned thing would stick on the floor anytime winding over 6000 and shifting. It was in the car 1 weekend. Never again. The old Borg clutches used to come with 9 springs in them. The Corvette clutch had 12 if I remember right. Anyway, we used to take the cover off and put 3 valve springs in. Then we were running a 12 spring clutch.
The Borg style I have in the car now is not that bad on pressure to release. And, it does shift good at high rpm. Just a quick jab at the pedal is all it takes.
My opinions:)

Fred

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
pressure plate

I have alway had the stock diaphram in mine. Never did have it stick to the floor, but always shifted at 5000, maybe that made a difference. It is still the original pressure plate, but I have replaced the clutch disk three times since 64.

I just bought a new pressure plate/clutch and went with Center Force this time. The engine is not back in the car yet, but will let you know how it works when I get it going.

Ron

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When the diaphram clutch first came out if it was released at high RPM it stayed open. That problem has been fixed in the last 35 years. I believe along with Aubrey that it depends on what you're going for as to which clutch to use. I went to a 4000 lb Borg Beck in my old super stocker and it was too heavy. You would blow the tires off because it was either off or on," O" slippage, and for a smooth operation you need a little slippage and then firm engagement once underway. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. :) Roy

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
CLUTCH

I JUST FINISHED FRESHING UP MY 409 THIS SPRING AND WENT WITH A CENTER FORCE DUEL FRICTION AND IT WORKS GREAT.PETAL PRESSURE IS ABOUT THE SAME AS A STOCK UNIT