Clutch "Z" Bar

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just browsing through the pages of my Echlers parts catalog, and saw that there were two clutch Z bars offered for the '62-'64 Chevys. One is for the sbc and the other is for a 409. Both with separate part numbers. Took a look at Hubbards and saw one Z bar offering for '62-'64. No mention made of sbc or 409. Then looked at Show Cars and like Echlers, they list 2 different offerings. My '62 came with a sbc engine. Am I to assume that the Z bar I have will not work and I have to order one for a 409?? I'll certainly order it if needed but what might the difference be if anyone knows?? Also, can the Z bar be installed after the engine is bolted in or is it best to do initially while installing the engine?? Thank you, Carmine.

rholso

Supporting Member 1
Just a heads up the sbc z bar will work there is plenty of room in the linkage to offset the small difference in z bars. Check this site out for some nice measurements on all gm z bars:
http://www.4speedconversions.com/zbars.html scroll down and you can view both z bars and measurements.

Hi everyone. Just browsing through the pages of my Echlers parts catalog, and saw that there were two clutch Z bars offered for the '62-'64 Chevys. One is for the sbc and the other is for a 409. Both with separate part numbers. Took a look at Hubbards and saw one Z bar offering for '62-'64. No mention made of sbc or 409. Then looked at Show Cars and like Echlers, they list 2 different offerings. My '62 came with a sbc engine. Am I to assume that the Z bar I have will not work and I have to order one for a 409?? I'll certainly order it if needed but what might the difference be if anyone knows?? Also, can the Z bar be installed after the engine is bolted in or is it best to do initially while installing the engine?? Thank you, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just a heads up the sbc z bar will work there is plenty of room in the linkage to offset the small difference in z bars. Check this site out for some nice measurements on all gm z bars:
http://www.4speedconversions.com/zbars.html scroll down and you can view both z bars and measurements.
The small block will not work properly as is!!! You can put it in place and then re-engineer either the upper clutch pushrod and/or the lower clutch fork pushrod and clevis. Once you change one part from the original setup....then you have to re-engineer the whole setup to make sure it engages and disengages the clutch properly.

rholso

Supporting Member 1
They are different by a few sixteenths of an inch on the angles and a little different on the hole placement. Just do your initial setup with the sbc z bar and you will be fine, it will work without any problems. If you really want it, I can take a side by side pic of the two.

If you had a z bar installed in a car with either the sbc or 409 bar then switched to the other, yes you would have to adjust the push rod "nut" a bit or the lower rod/clevis I have to agree with that Phil.