Cold/Hot lights and manual gauges solution

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So yes I wanted to maintain my original dummy lights for temp and oil, but the 409 did not offer a lot of ways to do that, i also wanted a good set of mechanical gauges so I could literally see the numbers. Jegs now has a part they stock, its a thermostat housing spacer/riser, its like 1 inch tall, has 4 ports for adding my fan switch, dummy light sensor, and my mechanical gauge, now the 64 SS can have them all, they also provide me with a male 1/8" by tee to hook up both of my oil gadgets.

049-all30375.jpg

View All Allstar Polished Aluminum Water Necks
Allstar Performance Billet Water Neck Spacer 1" Tall
Part Number: 049-ALL30375
made_in_usa.svg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wanted to do the same thing as you with my '62 409. Keep my idiot lights and run a mechanical temp. gauge. I bought something similar to what you displayed. My recollection isn't the greatest, but I though I had an issue with the probe on the temp. sending unit, coming in contact with the thermostat. It wouldn't screw all the way in. I took the spacer to the machine shop and he altered it some to make everything fit. Been working fine ever since. Sorry, I wish I recalled more about it. Maybe it was just that particular one I used and yours will be fine, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Plumbing the wires and lines back to the dash will make your engine compartment look like a worm farm!!!!!!

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Plumbing the wires and lines back to the dash will make your engine compartment look like a worm farm!!!!!!

Phil I agree, and that will not work for me, so I am going to have to get creative and figure out just how to do a clean job, but at the end of the day, FOR ME, its about function not looks, that being said, the OCD side of me will not let the wiring become to ugly, thank you, I agree with what ya said.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I don't think the wiring is really going to be all that bad. The factory wires are already there for the dash lights, so no additional wires there. If you go with a mechanical gauge such as Stewart Warner, there will only be the additional Bourdon tube for the temp gauge. That can be run on the drivers side of the intake next to the dummy light wires. The fan temp sensor wires can be run with the others and all could be put in the black flexible wiring conduit from thermostat housing to the firewall. It would look clean but not original. That would just leave the wires to the electric fan which I am sure you could route neatly somewhere.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
I brazed a nipple to new soft plug installed in left rear, installed mech. temp probe. Put a tee in oil pressure sender right beside temp probe, now I have both lights and mech. without mech. cluttering up top side.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine or Jeff hall any pics of your set up to go by?
I would like very much to get you some pics. Unfortunately, I can barely walk. My lower back gave out. To the hospital 2 times in 6 days. Going to a neurosurgeon this morning. As soon as I can, I'll get out to the garage and take some pics for you. Might be a while. Sorry. I'm pretty sure that I previously posted pics of my '62 with the 409 motor. Not sure exactly where. But if you can find them, they just might give you what you're looking for, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Scott. I don't want to steal or hijack this thread, but I've never had lower back pain like I've experienced the last 8-10 days. In and out of the hospital twice in 6 days. The pain is debilitating. Unyielding. Unrelenting. Almost had to take an ambulance to the hospital. Could barely walk. Couldn't find a comfortable position. I've always had an arthritic lower back and put up with soreness for a very long time. Learned to live with it. But this; no way. For no apparent reason, it came upon me. Hospital xrays and CAT scans show degenerative and bulging disc with some bone spurs. Went to a spinal neurosurgeon today and we're first going to try treatment with physical therapy and medication. Doesn't feel surgery is necessary at this time. I received an injection of something at the hospital and pain medication; Percocet (sp). Worked quite nicely. I also filled a script for Percocet and haven't taken them yet. Presently, feeling much better but not having a good day today. Have to be very slow and deliberate in my walk and movement or I get a jolt of pain. Nothing abrupt or spontaneous. The doctor said it would take 4-6 weeks to return to normal. I know I'm not the first to ever experience this, and those that have, my heart goes out to you, Carmine.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I drilled the top of the thermostat housing for temp gauge and put a T in the oil pressure fitting at the block.