Collector auction -- Philly area

doc396

Well Known Member
well as i have posted before, i could not afford most items i would want to buy. with ebay involed even the guys with the funds that are there are going up against worldwide competition. my guess is a lot of people will make the trek to go home with empty trailers and pickup beds:dunno doc

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
How they do it?

How can they sell/auction a car without a title? Just seems wrong. 61 bubble top 409 no title. Est. $45,000 without a title.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
How can they sell/auction a car without a title? Just seems wrong. 61 bubble top 409 no title. Est. $45,000 without a title.

Yeah...think about that 45k plus 20% buyers premium, another 9k for $54,000 and the car is a rat. :doh I don't think so. :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Interesting...

Thanks for the various links. I went through a bunch of them, lots of stuff, seemed way out of range for the average guy looking for a good deal. I guess if my surviving family sold all my stuff I'd have wanted them to get top dollar as well.

Models is right, no title not only devalues the product but also injects possible legal issues. I don't recall ANY of the vehicles having titles (maybe I missed one?).

The incorporation of Internet bidding in venues such as Barrett-Jackson has to throw the "floor bidder" off a bit, don't you think? I think the buyer's percentages are higher for Internet bidders at B-J, though. What a racket, charging buyers a fee!!!

I see bids already on the Ebay ads. Wonder if they'll start there with the live auction? So many questions, reminds me of a local real estate auction I went to recently. Many parcels offered by one seller. I had the winning bid on an old house on 3 acres, then after the hammer went down, the seller rejected the offer, and tried (unsuccessfully) to combine that tract with the one vacant tract next to it. I thought that was fishy. So did everyone else who was there. And we didn't even have to compete with Internet bidders :).

I'd be interested to learn how the actual auction goes down, I bet it's confusing to those who do show up physically.

Cheers,
TomK

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Tom ,Dick and I are planning to go on Friday to look around.I'd like to take some pictures and post a few on the sight.Give everybody the real deal on some of this stuff..Also plan to go back on Saturday for the auction.I have a few things in mind,but if prices are goofy you can bet I'm not bidding.The internet fee he's charging is 20%,but I read if you attend the auction its 15%.Either way that is a real rip off.I understand at the BJ Auctions he was making 8% from the seller and 10% from the buyer.Internet bidders were paying 12% as a buyer.Imagine making $18,000.00 on a $100,000 sale in just 3 minutes.Man what a racquet he's in.I understand he has a high payroll,high expenses for all the set-up,tents,security,ground leasing and promotions but can you imagine what he made on that auction in 5 days.GEEEZZZZ,ONLY IN AMERICA!!!! John

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Response from auction service

Through Ebay I asked a question about process and got this response from the auction service handling this weekend's auction:

"You can go about it a couple of ways, you can call and leave an absentee bid or you can bid live online if you prefer while the auction is in progress. Thank you."

Best,
TomK