Color choices

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm currently planning to start my Spring Project on the 1962 Belair. I need to replace the inner rockers first. Also have a few body sections that need to be cut out and relaced/repaired. Thinking about changing colors. Vehicle is currently Ermine White all around. Trim tag indicates two tone White over Twilight Blue. It might be interesting to put her back like that.

I've never seen one of these in those two colors (I remember lots of red/white combos from the early 60s though) and wondered how it would look. Here's a shot of the car with the trunk open, you can see the Twilight Blue on the underside of the trunk lid.

I know it's my decision, but I'd be interested in your opinion on how those colors would look together. What are your thoughts?

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• 1962 BA 409 January 17 2008 006.jpg
    1962 BA 409 January 17 2008 006.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 92
  • 1962 BA 409 January 17 2008 009.jpg
    1962 BA 409 January 17 2008 009.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 58

bobs409

Administrator
I remember seeing some white over blue cars in magazines in the past. Since you already have a white '62, I'd say go for it! I think it will be nice looking. (JMO)

By the way, I found this pic of how the rockers are put together. Mean't to add it to your post about rockers but will put it here. (see below)

I too have to tackle the "dreaded" inner rocker repair one day on my '63. This pic really takes the mystery out of it. (got it from Show cars site)

Attachments

• RockerPanelLined.jpg
    RockerPanelLined.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 77

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom-

I threw these together for you. The color is not "Twilight Blue, but I did try to match it as close to a scanned color chip to what the House of Kolor Digital Paint Booth had for colors. It looks as if it is still way off though. Anyway, should give you an idea.

If you want to see any other combination, just let me know.

The last two are what I am thinking of painting my car. And I am still undecided on a Red or Black interior.

Brian

Attachments

• TomK_1.jpg
    TomK_1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 69
  • TomK_2.jpg
    TomK_2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 85

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

Brian:

Thanks for the "mockup". Think I'll attempt to duplicate that for the Belair sedan body style. Not a bad combination!

Best,
TomK

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom,
I think the white over blue would look great! Either in the original color or the blue Brian used.
Brian,
Neat trick! :clap

Saw this Impala on ebay. Colors should be close.

62ImpalaSS_0128.jpg

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is a picture of my '61 Biscayne in your combination.

Attachments

• 61_biscayne.JPG
    61_biscayne.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 70

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

I had a feeling somewhat might have a similar body style with that color combination :). Thanks for posting the pic!

I'm inclined to think that should be the path to consider. First, it's original to the vehicle, based on the trim tag. Second, it's unique. Most important is that it looks real, real good!

Of course the fun part is hidden under the hood :).

Will keep you all posted while I make some progress. No time table yet, will start by gathering up the necessary flat metal parts for the under side repairs. Needs inners and some braces. Got to remove the interior to be able to weld those pieces in, I am guessing.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Those colors look great!:beerbang

And I also like the grey that Brians thinking about.:beerbang