COMMING IN HOT !!!!

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Having some cooling issues on my 327 , has the original radiator that looks great in side no builup that I can see from top car runs around 195* and up to 200*. Engine is set at 14* now I had it at 16 at first. haven't checked total yet starts and drives out great on road test but the dam thing allways climbs up above my comfort zone. 185* thermostat that checked good on the stove. New clutch fan and pump seem to be working like should turns free about 2 turns with the belt and spins great without. Allso running r44 ac/delco plugs if that has anything to do with it. I'm just chasing my tail at this point, I am wondering if I need a reservoir tank it doesn't seem to puke out any through the vent tube that runs down the side of rad. I run an underdash gauge which I thought was the problem but it all checks out with my heat gun . I should also point out that I installed a trans cooler in front of rad. I made bracket to fit off the hood latch support so it is about 2.50 " away from rad. but it was running hot before cooler was installed
Maybe time for a radiator ?????

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If you have the stock distributor with no modifications your total mechanical is going to add to much timing when setting the initial at 14/16 degrees. Add vacuum advance to that and your cruise light load timing would be as Ralph kramden once said "To the moon". Address that situation first then tackle the over heating problem.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
for every lb of pressure in your system you gain 3 degrees in boiling point.
so a 15lb radiator cap increases your boiling point by 45 degrees, so boiling point would be 257F
If you have a recovery system and you are not puking water you are not overheating.

I had a Cleveland that ran those temperatures for years.

In regards to your radiator, they look good but unless you know its history, you would be surprised how much shit builds up in them, usually at the bottom and works its way up.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Seems to stay under 205* no hotter and yes a stock fan shroud no pukimg on the vent hose I may make a reservoir tank to see if it helps any , the vent hose down the side is all I got now. I notice after a few seconds of shut down that it will burp or some kind of gurgle noise if that makes sence. When I get about 195 or so and get up to 70/80 it will climb to 205,then parked at idle it will stay there

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
that gurgle may be an air lock in the system somewhere. If there is an air lock this will cause a higher temp.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
How for sure did you check the thermostat on the stove. Did you have a thermometer for 185. I would still try a new thermostat.

wristpin

Well Known Member
There should be an overflow tank. When water heats up it expands into the overflow tank then when it cools it contracts. Air causes corrosion and will be emulsified as minute air bubbles which will be lodged within the system. Overflow tank prevents air being pulled into the system as long as the hose from radiator is routed to the bottom of the tank and sufficient fluid is maintained.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
When I filled radiator upper hose was off and thermostat was out filled until coolant was seen and all reassymbled.,1/8" hole drilled in therm. Thermostat was checked with my thermal gun on stove started opening up about 170* full open by 185*
How did this open system work before now I have problems with it of I never had a gauge before just the light

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you have a gun shoot it.!!!!!!! Take a temp gun (harbor frieght) and check temp at incoming hose and out hose will tell story on radiator. If I questioned the radiator I would have it flow tested.. If it's never had any thing done to it ,it's over 50 years old. All advice above good also.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When cooled down you should have all air out of system by its own ,and then refill to about inch or so from filler neck down. Coolant to top of neck not recommended for these systems.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
OK got in a cruise today put a make shift overflow tank aka 1/2 gallon soda jug:good right at 195/200 running at 75/80 mph . Got back to house and top rad. hose at 160 bottom at 170 thermostat housing 204 still was not puking any and res. bottle was warm to the touch.:readRad checked out at 140 on the outside edges down to 130 in the center. APPRECIATE YOUR ALLS HELP

Last edited: