COMMING IN HOT !!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have never checked my vehicles for the difference in hose temps ,but now I am curious since I have gun I will check if I don't forget. 10 degress don't sound like much ,but I could be wrong.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok,,,,, for what it's worth I did a little searching on another board . Guy with a bbc temp at thermostat at 185. 90 degree at bottom hose with dual fans running on a 70 degree day. Of course outside air will affect the outcome.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Flushed the rad. out and got a new thermostat still the same ,called around and could be $90 up to $250 depending on what they find. Are there any good alum. ones to use for that price, I did notice a couple spots have been repaired maybe I need another one.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I bought a 2 row aluminum radiator for my '62 409 from Auto City Classics. Painted it an egg shell black. Motor runs all day at 180-185 at 90 plus degrees out. Very pleased with it. All welded. Good price. I think it might even be the 2nd one I bought from them. When I first got my car, it had what I believe was the original radiator for a small block Chevy. I knew I was going with the 409 and wanted more cooling capacity. For a change, good move on my part, Carmine.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Put in new 3 core rad. and adjusted timming 55*total with vacuum adv. , vacuum plugged it is 40* still runs at 205* with 85 octane gas. Did notice vac. can is a 15* adv. MY C-10 has a 64 327 that is my "hot rod" a tad bigger cam and 461 heads and a 180* never gets over 190*. Would higher octane gas be better or a 160* thermostat be the ticket GOD I don't like it That HOT. Talked to a builder and he said to run a mr gasket 180* thermostat :rub:dunno2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes higher octane will help,as will that Mr.Gasket t-stat. I'm surprised that you can get that much timing in a 10-1 motor without detonation

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Why are you running so much timing? I run my 327 in my 63 at around 8 btdc and the same in my 66 chevy pickup with 350 engine.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
It doesn't hardly run at 8 really smooths out at 14 to 16 . At 55 total my initial is 23 I thought total was what counted the best.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check your harmonic balancer.Make sure that the outer ring hasn't slipped.Your right that the total and rate of advance is "king",but something isn't right here.Most W engines top out at 34-35 degrees ,and that's on 91-93 octane.Are running primarily in high altitude?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok,now the timing is starting to make sence.The 85 octane fuel was the tip off.Go up on the octane and see if it changes.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Seems like I'm getting a little closer re-timed and a new Mr. Gasket thermostat and it seems to keep it cooler,but really haven't got to try it out on a hot day. Last time I messed with it, it was up to 190 around town but never had a good test . Didn't the SBC come with a 5 blade fan and the BBC have 7 blades I did manage to find a 7 blade fan in my stash, I am currently running a 5