Comp cams

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
While checking Comp's site for a small block grind I noticed that they now list 3 hyd.roller Extreme Energy grinds.One perfectly suited to a warm,cast piston equipped stock stroke 348,one for a hotter 9.5-1 cast piston motor[348 or mild 380,and one that would be much hotter,would require forged pistons but would be a great hot street,mild strip grind for a 380 or stock stroke 409.Heretofore all that they had listed for the W was the Thumper junk.I view this as good news.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3

Cam Type:
Hydraulic Roller
Lifter Style:Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Series:Xtreme Energy
Camshaft Gear Attachment:3-Bolt
Usage:Street/Performance
Valve Springs Required:Yes
Camshaft Material:Billet Steel
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:266
Advertised Exhaust Duration:272
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:212
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:218
Intake Valve Lift:0.536
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.543
Lobe Separation:110
Assembly Lubricant Included:
Stock stroke.9.5 cast piston 348/mild 380]sneaky 340 horse 409.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
RPM Operating Range:1,400-5,800
Grind Number:XE272HR-10
Cam Type:Hydraulic Roller
Usage:Street Performance
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:272
Advertised Exhaust Duration:278
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:218
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:224
Assembly Lubricant Included:No
Reviews

TECH SUPPORT
LATEST NEWS
  • Read about the newest product launches from our development team.
  • Watch the latest product and technology videos
This is a hyd.roller version of the good old 0950 hyd.flat tappet.Largest you can use without notching the 9.5 cast pistons.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
RPM Operating Range:1,800-6,200
Grind Number:XE284HR-10
Cam Type:Hydraulic Roller
Usage:Street/Strip
Advertised Intake Duration:284
Advertised Exhaust Duration:290
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:230
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:236
Assembly Lubricant Included:No
Forged piston required,good mild street stroker[big inch] cam,with the right set up,mid-low 12's from a stock stroke 409 possible[Ray's[Fathead RACING] already proven this.]

Last edited:

Apache 59

Does anyone know the cam centerline on the XE284HR-10, my guess is 106, but Comp Cams doesn't say anywhere that I can find.

Apache 59

Most of comp cams, but not all are ground with 4 degree of advance. I'm trying to design my engine to closely resemble the Edelbrock 2268 cam, but with reduced lift and a little added duration to make up for the loss of lift and still keep the same overlap, give or take 1 degree. Don't know if this XE284HR-10 is it, as is, or to have Comp Cams custom grind one. This XE284HR-10 has a much faster ramp speed which would help with the loss of lift. I think the Eledbrock 2268 cam lift might be an issue with the 348 cylinder bore and having to clearance the block.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I looked up the number in the catalog it shows it in 110. Now the catalog doesn't show 348/409 engines but the grind is the same for small and big block engines.

Apache 59

Thank you for taking the time to research it. I think the 110 you are see on there website is the lobe separation angle (LSA). That is different from cam centerline. If the 110 LSA and the cam is ground with 4 degree advancement you would end up with a centerline of 106. I will e-mail them and should hind out something on Monday. I was just hopping someone already have purchased that cam and have the cam card.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless recently[2 years or so]changed the centerline on that cam is 106.You can verify this durrng mock up.Akll Extreme Energy Chev.cams are marked as having a 4 degree from LSA.