Compressor?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don.....why don't you park the 63 in the garage and send me your wheel dollies??? I'll pay the shipping.
I thought it was in the garage!!!!! Lol. Since my last offer on these to you i put the casters wheels on that are like the go jack dollys. Roll much easier. Now the price is higher!!!:D

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I was at PRI last winter, there was a company with a line of compressors that were almost silent. They weren't screw type, which are naturally quiet but were silenced. I was afraid to ask how much they were. I have a 80 gal. 5horse quincy outside the upper garage and a 60 gal 5 horse for the paint booth in the lower garage. I had a 120 gal 10 horse Quincy at the mill but it was 3 phase and I don't have that here at the house. I sold the Smith 160 that was made from the 460 Ford motor along with the dustless blaster last year.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I ordered my Campbell Hausfeld compressor probably 20 years ago. And I'm pretty sure it was from Harbor Freight. About $850.00 and free shipping. It's only a single stage, but 4 cylinder, 7 hp.View attachment 80407View attachment 80408
Jim, Lowe’s sells that one for 1280.00 which is not a bad price, my question is how much of a difference is 2 phase? cause they also sell that compressor both ways but 2 phase 2000.00 worth it?

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Jim, Lowe’s sells that one for 1280.00 which is not a bad price, my question is how much of a difference is 2 phase? cause they also sell that compressor both ways but 2 phase 2000.00 worth it?
I believe the correct terminology is 2-stage compressor. A large bore cylinder compresses the air and sends it to a smaller cylinder where it is further compressed and cooled and sent to the storage tank. 2-stage is better suited for continuous usage.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe the correct terminology is 2-stage compressor. A large bore cylinder compresses the air and sends it to a smaller cylinder where it is further compressed and cooled and sent to the storage tank. 2-stage is better suited for continuous usage.
Thanks for the info I’ve never had much interest in compressors just wanted those bastards to work! I’ve taken them for granted lol Now that I’m working on my own and I don’t have the use of some monster compressor life has changed.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you buy a single stage you will kick yourself in the butt later for not stepping up now. I learned my lesson years ago "bigger is always (usually) better", its the American way Lol.
Yeah I’m definitely going 2 stage no doubt my single phase now did a good job but was always just a little short :laugh4

Junky

Well Known Member
When making a large purchase such as a compressor, it should be made with full knowledge of what you are buying, and the least expensive or most expensive might not meet your needs. First thing to look at is the motor.. Not all 5 HP motors are the same. Today, the manufacturers have ways of calling a 5 HP motor that truly isn't 5 HP. I liken it to the number of plies of a tire.. They used to be the actual number of plies, but today, you can find tires that are 4 ply rated, but are actually 2 ply tires. Getting back to the compressor, the manufacturer of the motor is important since if you want a true 5 HP motor, you will immediately see the difference in the size. A true 5 HP motor will require an external magnetic starter box, where as a 5 HP rated motor will not. The same with the compressor itself, as has been pointed out, you will be better off with a 2 stage compressor than a single stage compressor. Inexpensive compressors, even 2 stage inexpensive compressors will have splash lubricated bearings, where the more expensive 2 stage compressors will have pressure lubricated bearings. Next thing is the question of brands of compressor, not who's name is on the tank, but the company that actually manufactured the compressor itself. There are a number of good compressor manufacturers out there, but the one thing that is important, is where was the compressor manufactured.. in the USA or China. If made in China, you might not be able to get parts for it in 10 years if you should need them.
I have 2 Quincy brand compressors, one is a 5 HP Baldor motor mounted to a 80 gallon tank and a 2 stage Quincy pressure lubricated head with an oil filter. At the time of purchase, I also specked that I wanted the ability to have it a continuous run or stop / start run motor. This is accomplished by the twist of air operated valve switching the motor control box from continuous to pressure operated. When the tank comes up to full pressure, it opens the valves on the compressor head, and bleeds off the air being pumped. This allows the motor to continue spinning so when I am using a lot of air, such as sandblasting, and the tank will replenish the air more quickly. I purchased it in 1995 for $1500 new.
I also have a Quincy QT54 that I purchased at a salvage store. The compressor came with a 3 phase 3 HP motor, which I replaced with a new 5 HP Baldor motor and magnetic starting box. This is a splash lubricated 4 cylinder reciprocating Quincy head. I purchased it inexpensively but buying the motor and starting box, cost more than the purchase of the compressor and tank. Probably a bad decision on my part, but I can live with my mistakes. All together, I am into it for about $800.
MVC-002L.JPGMVC-003L.JPGMVC-004L.JPGMVC-005L.JPGMVC-006L.JPG

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
Forgot to mention, that if you have the room, and the need for more volume of compressed air, consider keeping your old tank, and plumbing it together with your new unit. Just make sure that the connecting piping is sized large enough to allows for the transfer of the compressed air to move freely from one tank to the others. The rule of thumb is that when you double the size of a pipe, you increase the volume by 4 times. Therefore, a 1" pipe will carry 4 times the volume of a 1/2" pipe. Another rule is that every 90 degree bend in the lines is equivalent to adding 8' of piping. This is one reason to never undersize the supply lines to the work area. I have seen many shops that the compressor is large enough to supply all the air pressure necessary to the work stations, however, there isn't enough volume to properly run the tool. Increasing the size of the supply line will remedy this problem, but the compressor is blamed for not putting out enough air, and that isn't the case.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Another hint to help you wade through manufacturer BS is (in simplified form): Volts x Amps = Watts. One HP = 746 Watts. If you have a motor rated 15 Amps at 240 Volts then you have a 5 Hp motor. Some marketing schmucks will use the motor's service factor to inflate its rating. Not a good idea.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Another hint to help you wade through manufacturer BS is (in simplified form): Volts x Amps = Watts. One HP = 746 Watts. If you have a motor rated 15 Amps at 240 Volts then you have a 5 Hp motor. Some marketing schmucks will use the motor's service factor to inflate its rating. Not a good idea.
Nothing like a little OHM's Law!

Attachments

• IMG_4935.JPG
    IMG_4935.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 10