Console door padding

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So cleaning up console to change colors. The padded portion on top of the door has 6 screws underneath(7 counting one in SS emblem) but I can't seem to get anything off when I remove them. Pushing though the hole just goes into the padding. Is there a plate covered by the padding it attaches to?

Junky

Well Known Member
It might be that someone has glued the padding to the door. If you have a heat gun, try warming the underneath and see if the glue will release. If not, I would just tape it off and spray it without removing it any further. I have done a number of vinyl color changes and the one thing that is most important, is to clean first with SEM soap, and then spray with the vinyl conditioner, and allow a few minutes for it to soften the vinyl for good adhesion of the top color. Don't over spray the color, because you can loose the detail of the grain if you do.

Junky

Well Known Member
I looked in my parts illustration book to see if there was as a breakdown of part, however, I couldn't find one. Sorry, but I can't help you with any more information. It will be up to someone that has already taken one of these apart to give you guidance.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a parts 64 SS console. The lid is still assembled with the black cover and SS emblem.
The lid has very nice chrome -needs a new black cover and SS emblem. I can expose one or more of the screws from the top.
Paul

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So here is a shot of the screws on the bottom. They bite into something firm feel metal, not just padding. but when I pull them out nothing budges! Here is top shot also.
And an ashtray I can not tell where it goes it was loose in the car not attached .

Is the SEM silver a close match to the silver interior?

Attachments

• DSC_0301.JPG
    DSC_0301.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0296.JPG
    DSC_0296.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 24

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Ash tray is for AC car. Goes under dash to right of column. The ashes blew off when using regular ash tray because it is located right below center AC vent in dash, so Chevy came up with this aux. ash tray for AC cars. Problem solved.

Fuzz

MAGA

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Skip, that pad should come right out. Maybe someone glued it. Try a butter knife, going all around.:clap

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
It could also be stuff with 50+ years of grime! What does the bottom frame look like? I can feel a metal support for the SS emblem.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Inventory on all the locks and keys I have 2 keys one fits ignition and trunk, other fits both doors. There were 2 glove box locks(one extra) and one console lock-key do not fit any of those.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
On all 64's that I've owned, one key fits everything, including the Console.:appl

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yep a lot of years for folks to change things. Or buy a new latch and not take it to a locksmiths to match it. I know when I had my 64 in 1970-73 I had to replace glove box and console ones as they broke.

427John

Well Known Member
Could be spilled sodas over the years that's about as good a glue as anything,if so hot water should loosen it right up.Silver upholstery with black trim?That should be sweet,whats the exterior color?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Exterior is going to stay with the original light metallic blue keeping that patina look. . Cragar SS all around-they were too expensive for me to afford on my first one being a high school kid. Although being the picky perfectionist I'd love a repaint while I have it apart, not my favorite color but decent enough. A color change way too much work. Odometer has 45K on it and as clean as it all is and how the wiring looks guessing maybe 145K, Last licensed in 89 with the 283 2BBL intake cab and air cleaner were in the trunk when I got it.

My dad had a 64 SS that was silver silver interior it was used to test the FrigiKing aftermarket AC unit ARA was making back then(grandfather's company sold pulleys,gears). My red 64 in high school actually had silver interior-until I put the blue Chevelle front seats in it, they had locking backs, hated the seats flopping forward when you hit the brakes.

Attachments

• DSC_0235.JPG
    DSC_0235.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 15
  • Impala front.jpeg
    Impala front.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 15
  • Impala Side.jpeg
    Impala Side.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 15

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Barry, Lambert did want to drive the Trans Am when I came up for a Pontiac race that was the same weekend as the Forest Lane Reunion.

I think it is going to look nice. Want a nice interior and good window seals! Want to get it going before I;m too old is part of why foregoing a paint job.