conv. top install ?

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Hi all,
The 61 needs a new top. Has anyone here installed top themselves?
Would you do it again or have it done by pro?
Thanks for reply and any tips you can give.
Pat
61 Impala Conv. 348 PG
67 shelby GT350
79 Vette

DDay1

Well Known Member
I installed a top on a Vette I had, took me two days. I even had a how to video. I'll never do it again. It looked good but it's a job. I've got a new top laying in the trunk of my 61. Just waiting on the rain to stop so I can get to the upholstery shop.:cuss

Fabric Master

Top install

Pat, I could say putting on a top is cake, but I've been doing it for awhile. Best thing to consider, are you up to it? Take pictures as you remove everything from frame. There are some important measurements for the bows to be set at. You may have to replace your tack strips inside the front and rear bows. I use air staple gun. Call a couple shops and see if they would install should you start and can't finish. Some upholsterers get all out of shape if you furnish top and start job, then bring to them. The price you pay for a top to do it yourself is reasonable, figure new pads, and rear window also. If you want any more detailed info. feel free to Email me. Fabric Master

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
I think I will install top myself. Ill be better able to detail top frame while top is off in garage. Have digicam and will take plenty of pics and measurements. Any suggestions for top purchase and books or manuals with good directions?
Pat

Attachments

• 61imppass.jpg
    61imppass.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 84

Fabric Master

Not sure of books etc. to help you, but someplace I have the bow measurements, will see what I have around and let you know. As far as tops go, there is really only a few manufacturers around, they seem to make for lots of retailers. I believe some of the good parts people for old cars could help you. I buy mine from a supplier, have used Crown Top and Ace. I'm sure there is others just as good.