Convention awards

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
So, I didn't make it to the convention. :bang

Was there any other un-restored rusty old 62's that showed up?

Maybe next year (or two)?

:cool:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Another bubbletop

Wrench:

There was a guy from Nebraska (Impala Tom?) who drove a 1962 BA sport coupe over to K.C. Had a transplanted truck 409 with 340 HP heads and a 4 speed. Pretty rusted underneath. Needed all the floor pans, trunk pan, quarters and rockers. Looked like it was from Minnesota (I think he mentioned that). He was asking $10,500. Lot of work, but it did drive.

I bet yours is a better (and more original) example, so do not fear to make the trek next year.

Did you sell your QA and the components?

Cheers,
TomK

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
rust

I bet yours is a better (and more original) example, so do not fear to make the trek next year.
Nah, it's in need of full floor pans and the trunk pan as well....As for original, not very. The seats are from a 67 Impala. I added the inside window trim (polished aluminum) from a 61 Impala. Still has the proper steering column, though. The hole in the floor for the shifter is huge - remeber, it served many years on local drag strips in North Texas known as 'The Pied Piper'. It's had at least 15 different engines in the bay (three by me alone).

But, it's all there in the important stuff that are really hard to track down now. Years ago when I'd drive to meets in Texas, I'd stop at wrecking yards and pull those tough pieces. I remember once pulling one perfect 62 hockey stick in driving rain.

Did you sell your QA and the components?
No, not yet. The guy from Austin called just before the convention and wants everything I have (more than just the QA). We have not talked since.

As it happens, my right kidney flared up on the 17th, 18th and 19th. I was off my feet the whole time in some really deep pain.