Convention Reflections

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, we're starting to come down now after a great week. I'm still so excited about what took place .....that I even haven't taken my wrist band off yet!!!!

For those of you that were not able to make it.....this is how it went.

I lied about only allowing only 348 and 409 cars into the car show!! We had one blown 427 show up for a little while on Friday. We have here in KC one, from what I have been told...only 2 were built.......a monster grocery cart with a blown 427 and zoomie headers!!!!!! :D :D I scheduled it to show up on Friday from 11 to 1 as a surprise. And I had him park south of the Expo Center and come driving into the car show!! It is a sight to behold!! It probably stands 10-12' tall. I didn't get any pictures so hopefully someone can post one here!! It is sponsored by our local grocery chain Price Chopper. This would make Jesse James and his Monster Garage buddies proud!!!!

At the banquet Friday evening, we started with a benediction by Brad Steward, who works for me. After Brad's prayer, I announced that we would play the National anthem. While we were waiting for the music to start...slowly everyone started to stand up and look around for a flag. When the music came on...everyone was on their feet and laughing!!! :roll :roll That's because "our" national anthem was sung by The Beach Boys!!!! We had almost 300 people singing "She's real fine...my 409" in unison!!!! I tricked 'em!!!! :roll :roll

After everyone got seated, I explained the schedule of events for the evening. I explained that we had our stroker motor that we would give away. We also had an auction item......a ONE ONLY 409 neon sign that had been made and donated by Dave Brazelton of Western Sign Co. It was absolutely beautiful!! Then I said we had one more item to be auctioned off. And I rolled out my pet project for the Convention......a ONE ONLY 409 barbeque grille that I had made!!!! If I might say...it turned out awesome. It had zoomie headers that would let out the smoke when you had it fired up!! Brand new rechromed real 409 valve covers and a real 400HP air cleaner!!! And the rest was powder coated Chevrolet orange. It was a big hit!! Again, hopefully somone here can post a picture.

Our sponsors had donated gifts that we drew numbers and gave away free. Shafer's Classic Reproductions gave us a complete 63-64 425HP aluminized exhaust system ( DQ won it!!); Ron Kunkle donated a 61-62 idler pulley assembly and a 62-63 4-speed, 4-core radiator; Speciality Reproductions donated one of their awesome 62 Super Sport trunk panel sets; A&M Soffseal donated weatherstrip certificates; M. Parker Autoworks donated a gift certificate for new wiring; Show Cars donated 2 complete heater delete sets...a 61-62 and a 63-64; and Classic Motor Co. donated a complete 61-64 gas tank, sending unit and installation straps.

Then, after dinner was over.......I finally told these grown men what the 348 and 409 mile marker signs were for!! Seeing all these 40 to 60 year old guys carrying their signs into the banquet....and not knowing why...was priceless for me!! This just shows that we men "are not necessarly smart...we're just imminetly trainable"!!!! This is what I explained to them. Never ever will we have an assembly of 348 and 409 persons together again that we had that evening. A lot of us had never met face to face before...either thru this forum or buying parts from a company across the country. We had many, many famous persons in that room that evening also. It was my goal to provide everyone with a once in a lifetime memory of this week. This sign could be hung in their garage or den or whatever to remind them of this evening. So...I said I had 450 brand new Sharpie black permanent markers here.....come up and get one and go have all your friends and dignitaries sign your own personal sign!! You should have seen everyone's eyes light up!! I think Hayden had a line for over an hour at his table. Needless to say...everyone went home with his own prized possesion!!

Then, we picked the winning ticket for the stroker motor. It was won by Larry Barnes of Ark City, Kansas. Larry had the white 58 409 with the Lamar aluminum Z-11 heads!! AWESOME CAR!! Word has it that Larry will be putting this engine in his new car......it's ready to be picked up at Paul Newman's...it has had a complete late model Corvette suspension put under it. The car???? A 1954 CORVETTE!!! This guy needs to be certified!!!!!!

Last event of the evening...I lied again about not having any trophys. We had the Hayden Proffitt "My Favorite Car" award. It went to John Ginn who had an immaculate 62 Corona Cream bubbletop. The car has scored above 990 in all the shows it has been in!! We really had some seriously nice cars here!!

That was it.......the dinner started at 6:30 and we all got done about 10.

As I said in an earlier post...this has been an incredible ride for me personally!! It was an honor to put this all on for you. Everyone seemed happy about the week...and for that I am grateful!!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's a picture of the BIG shopping cart. I'm also posting a picture of another shopping cart I found on the net somewhere? They are slightly different but certainly could have been built by the same person. (I'd hate to think there are two people like that out there) :eek: And what's this about 40-60 year old men? I'm only 34! :D Just because I drive an old car doesn't mean I'm old, Just cool :cool: NUT

Attachments

• hi-perf shopping cart.jpg
    hi-perf shopping cart.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Big Cart.JPG
    Big Cart.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 94

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for getting that out of the way, Aaron. I'll be 34 in January and while there are days that I feel pretty old, I didn't think we were up there with all those "geezers". :p

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Old Timers

I'm only 33 but I have loved old cars all my life. Does that make me old? :dunno

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Don

I don't know but I been told, if ya run in the 12s, ya never grow old! ;)
(even in a wagon) :D NUT

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
348NUT said:
Than I think I better turn it up a notch or two.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
348NUT said:

I fell younger already !!!!

BTW,,,, What happens when you get into the 11`s?
I`m so close I can taste it !!! Don? :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Convention auction

Here are pics of the beautiful 409 neon sign built by Dave Brazelton of Western Sign Co. and the 409 BBQ grill built by Phil Reed.

The picture does not bring out the red and blue neon like I had hoped. You had to see it in person.

This is a one of a kind barbequer. Notice the genuine oil pan, timing cover, 409 connecting rods on the lid handle, rechromed 409 valve covers, and the genuine 400 hp aircleaner and all mounted on an engine stand. Nice job Phil :clap

Ron

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
convention #2

Bob, if they do another convention next year, do you think you could make it?

Fred

M Marvel

Phil Reed said:
Then, we picked the winning ticket for the stroker motor. It was won by Larry Barnes of Ark City, Kansas. Larry had the white 58 409 with the Lamar aluminum Z-11 heads!! AWESOME CAR!! Word has it that Larry will be putting this engine in his new car......it's ready to be picked up at Paul Newman's...it has had a complete late model Corvette suspension put under it. The car???? A 1954 CORVETTE!!! This guy needs to be certified!!!!!!

Here is a picture of the engine in Larry's 58. http://community.webshots.com/photo/145513239/145516447AonLgy

Well, I have to say that if there was any person that does not need that engine, it has to be Larry!!! If he does what you are saying he is going to do with it, it could be the car that finishes him off!!! I figured he would have learned something about independent suspensions from the Jeep's he used to drive in the Military. Everyone say a little prayer for Larry, he is going to need it. :)

M Marvel

DQ just informed me that my picture of Larry's engine is outdated. Apparently he has changed the intake tubing to come out in front of the radiator. DQ posted a thumbnail in the other thread.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, honest, NO PRESSURE. Just a question. Thought maybe with enough notice you might be able to make it. Your choice, entirely.

Fred

bobs409

Administrator
I know Fred, but Kansas City is still too far away. It doesn't look good for me to be there.

I don't have the "guts" to try and do what Phil did or I would hold an Eastern 348-409 Convention on this side of the states. Just thinking about it makes my head spin. :D

Maybe we need regional chapters of the convention to acomodate everyone. ;)

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Regional

Bob,Regional chapters thats a good idea something like that would be alot easier to do than a big convention.Members could collect at one point say a car show like Super Chevy and have a club display.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Jim,
Good idea, what about the Super Chevy show in Maple Grove Pa next July?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Norwalk,Ohio Super Chevy

Norwalk,Ohio puts on a very good Super Chevy Show.Members in Ohio,Illinois,Michigan.Indiana,Pennsylvania,Kentucky,West Virgina and Canada could attend if we get 10 members to agree on either show that's a party.

Bob,How about starting a poll between Maple Grove,Pa and Norwalk Ohio.I know
I would go to either show It's alot shorter distance than KC

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well there could be something just as good or BETTER thats in the planning stages as I type.

Hayden got so rejuvenated and jazzed at the convention that he is talking about a reunion tour drag race including some of the other historic racer that would tour the States next year.

This would be a great opportunity to hold the regional gatherings at the tracks where the reuion tour is held in the different parts of the country.

The Super shows are to big in my opinion and we would just be lost in the maze of of all the other activities.

This tour would not only focus on Hayden and the other racers but the 409 (and 348) powered cars as well.

What better way to show off our cars and engines then in an event that focuses on OUR "W" block cars !!!!

This would bring more attention to the 348-409 interest then would if combined into a large open event like the Super Shows.

With the event moving around the country it would make it easy to plan and organize our get togethers with the tour and make both a success !!

This would also generate interest in the next 348-409 National Convention.
Phil mentioned that if he did do another one it would most likely happen every two to three years.

This makes sense as it would be easier to attend each one being a few years apart and not delute the specialty of the National Convention.

If and when this happens I plan on taging along and touring along as long as I can.

I`ll let the fellow member working on this event fill us in as he moves along with the plans.