Converting 64 to manual brakes dual MC

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So what have you guys used for a dual MC and rod? Mine had a power conversions kit with that single 9" booster but figure going full manual to get more valve cover clearance too.

Is the a different hole on the pedal to use for manual vs power like my F body Camaro?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My '62 came with power drum brakes with a single mc reserve. I believe the previous owner installed this and it wasn't factory. I elected to put a dual reserve on and it was suggested to use a '67 Impala dual master cylinder for drum brakes, which I did. Used the same rod and don't recall making any adjustments. I also sent the power brake booster out for a rebuild. Everything works great. As for valve cover clearance, I have to take the power brake booster from the firewall to get the valve cover off. What a PITA, Carmine.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The rod is attached to the aftermarket booster so I'll need a new one. I figured a 67 MC and rod should work. Different pedal holes?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The rod is attached to the aftermarket booster so I'll need a new one. I figured a 67 MC and rod should work. Different pedal holes?

I'm not sure about different pedal holes but that is a strong possibility. The PO did mine and I did see two different holes on the brake pedal. I'm sure both aren't factory. I don't recall which hole the rod is attached to but I can look if it will help you, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If the other hole is not there you will have to drill one.
I worked on a 65 GTO that the guy did his own brake work on and could not stop the car so after checking and and scratching my head for a wile I found that he put the push rod in the lower hole. I moved it to the upper hole and fixed it.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I'm not even sure whether this car was an original manual or PB car. The 9" aftermarket booster looks single diaphragm and kind of wimpy anyway.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I just looked at the pedal in a 62 and it has both holes. Not sure if a 64 is the same.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks. We just hauled the 64 over to my shop from my friends and starting to go though what is there and what it needs. So now I can take a look there.